From: Robert LeBlanc on
If you configure SSH and NFS, you get passwords logins and mounts. I think
mount.smb can use it as well as smbclient. I know that KDE auto logs me into
Samba/WIndows file shares without a password just like Windows. If you have
Kerberos websites, you can configure your browser to pass tickets and get
single-signon. There are quiet a few things you can do. If you have to enter
a password, there is usually a way to enable Kerberos for it.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Matthew Delves <m.delves(a)ballarat.edu.au>wrote:

> Hey list,
> I'm wondering if there is any advantage to be gained by using kerberos with
> pam_winbind.
>
> I've configured pam_winbind and enabled krb5_auth though apart from being
> granted a ticket, I'm unsure as to any advantage that would be gained by
> enabling Kerberos.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Delves

> Matthew Delves
> System Administrator
> Information Systems
> Networks & Infrastructure
> University of Ballarat
> ph: 03 5327 9732
> email: m.delves(a)ballarat.edu.au

>>> On 9/06/2010 at 1:22 pm, Robert LeBlanc <robert(a)leblancnet.us> wrote:
> If you configure SSH and NFS, you get passwords logins and mounts. I think
> mount.smb can use it as well as smbclient. I know that KDE auto logs me into
> Samba/WIndows file shares without a password just like Windows. If you have
> Kerberos websites, you can configure your browser to pass tickets and get
> single-signon. There are quiet a few things you can do. If you have to enter
> a password, there is usually a way to enable Kerberos for it.

Thanks for that explanation. That's more when using Linux as a workstation. I'm using Linux as a server and am wanting to use Kerberos authentication as a way of achieving SSO.

Currently I have the linux server setup so that it retrieves a kerberos ticket when a user logs in via ssh, though when I tell PuTTY to authenticate using kerberos, it still asks for a password.

Is there a way to track down just what is going on there?

Thanks,
Matt Delves.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Matthew Delves <m.delves(a)ballarat.edu.au>wrote:

> > If you configure SSH and NFS, you get passwords logins and mounts. I
> think
> > mount.smb can use it as well as smbclient. I know that KDE auto logs me
> into
> > Samba/WIndows file shares without a password just like Windows. If you
> have
> > Kerberos websites, you can configure your browser to pass tickets and get
> > single-signon. There are quiet a few things you can do. If you have to
> enter
> > a password, there is usually a way to enable Kerberos for it.
> >

> Thanks for that explanation. That's more when using Linux as a workstation.
> I'm using Linux as a server and am wanting to use Kerberos authentication as
> a way of achieving SSO.
>
> Currently I have the linux server setup so that it retrieves a kerberos
> ticket when a user logs in via ssh, though when I tell PuTTY to authenticate
> using kerberos, it still asks for a password.
>
> Is there a way to track down just what is going on there?

It took me a long time to get Kerberos SSH working. My best friends were ssh
-vvvv and running sshd in debug mode. It will take a while, but the
passwordless login is very nice. I was able to do if from Mac and Linux, I
think I got Putty working on one Window's machine, but it required a special
version of Putty from what I remember.