From: Frank Bonnet on
Hello

I'm trying to change a local user passwd as root and I get this error
message ... which seems a bit unreal to me ...

passwd: Permission denied
passwd: password unchanged

The machine is running Lenny 64 bits

Thank you

On 2009-09-18 09:34 +0200, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> I'm trying to change a local user passwd as root and I get this error
> message ... which seems a bit unreal to me ...
>

> passwd: Permission denied
> passwd: password unchanged

What does "lsattr /etc/passwd /etc/shadow" print?

Sven

Hello Frank,

what gives

ls -l /etc/passwd
lsattr /etc/passwd

?

Jerome

--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit_at_mailsnare_dot_net

Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-09-18 09:34 +0200, Frank Bonnet wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to change a local user passwd as root and I get this error
>> message ... which seems a bit unreal to me ...
>>

>> passwd: Permission denied
>> passwd: password unchanged
>
> What does "lsattr /etc/passwd /etc/shadow" print?

this ... how it has been changed ? this is a fresh install
does this mean another admin has changed the default attr ?

lsattr /etc/passwd /etc/shadow
------------------- /etc/passwd
------------------- /etc/shadow

Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello Frank,
>
> what gives
> ls -l /etc/passwd
> lsattr /etc/passwd

well I am logged as root which is supposed in a UNIX world
to have access to all files of the local filesystem without
access right checking huh ?

ls -l /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1358 2009-09-18 09:21 /etc/passwd

lsattr /etc/passwd