From: Mike Gonta on
pdBIOS32 is a public domain 32 bit protected mode BIOS extender.
It uses a simple software mode switching technique, is less than 2k
and does
not write to or change the hard drive or the BIOS firmware.
pdBIOS32 like the motherboard BIOS is file system independent.
It is currently distributed as a fat12 floppy disk image.
This image will boot and run from either a real or virtual floppy
disk, also
from a USB flash drive as either floppy disk or hard drive BIOS
configuration.
All source code is include and is written in 100% pure assembly
language and
can be assembled with either FASM or NASM.

Original code by Mike Gonta, Public Domain 2010

http://mikegonta.com/pdBIOS32

Mike Gonta
look and see - many look but few see
From: Aharon Lavie on
On May 2, 3:12 pm, Mike Gonta <mikego...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> pdBIOS32 is a public domain 32 bit protected mode BIOS extender.
> It uses a simple software mode switching technique, is less than 2k
> and does
> not write to or change the hard drive or the BIOS firmware.
> pdBIOS32 like the motherboard BIOS is file system independent.
> It is currently distributed as a fat12 floppy disk image.
> This image will boot and run from either a real or virtual floppy
> disk, also
> from a USB flash drive as either floppy disk or hard drive BIOS
> configuration.
> All source code is include and is written in 100% pure assembly
> language and
> can be assembled with either FASM or NASM.
>
> Original code by Mike Gonta, Public Domain 2010
>
> http://mikegonta.com/pdBIOS32
>
> Mike Gonta
> look and see - many look but few see

Hello Mike,

I downloaded the file from the link you specified, but I did not find
there any assembly, nor any documentation, only something that looks
like a storage image code.

Am I missing something?

Aharon

From: Mike Gonta on
On May 3, 7:05 pm, Aharon Lavie <sdcs...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 2, 3:12 pm, Mike Gonta <mikego...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > It is currently distributed as a fat12 floppy disk image.

> Hello Mike,
>
> I downloaded the file from the link you specified, but I did not find
> there any assembly, nor any documentation, only something that looks
> like a storage image code.

Use dd.exe to transfer the image to a real or virtual floppy disk or a
USB flash drive.
Use a real PC or qemu to boot and run.
The source code files are on the image.

From: Rod Pemberton on
"Aharon Lavie" <sdcslil(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I downloaded the file from the link you specified, but I did not find
> there any assembly, nor any documentation, only something that looks
> like a storage image code.
>
> Am I missing something?

Mike stored everything in a .zip'd floppy image.

Try 7-Zip. It'll open the .zip to reveal a floppy .img, and then clicking
on the .img in 7-zip's window will allow you to open the .img within 7-zip.
The .img has the files and source directory. 7-zip allows you to move up
and down as if the archive is a directory. You can view or extract files as
needed. I think that's the easiest way to view or extract the files.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Or, use John Fine's partcopy.exe or Linux dd command, etc. to put the image
to floppy and boot it. I'm not sure how to get Mike's files that way
though... Ditto when using QEMU to boot and run. I think you'd need to
_not_ boot the image, but read/mount it via DOS, Windows, Linux, etc.

Rod Pemberton

From: s_dubrovich on
On May 4, 10:28 am, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...(a)havenone.cmm> wrote:
> "Aharon Lavie" <sdcs...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I downloaded the file from the link you specified, but I did not find
> > there any assembly, nor any documentation, only something that looks
> > like a storage image code.
>
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Mike stored everything in a .zip'd floppy image.
>
> Try 7-Zip.  It'll open the .zip to reveal a floppy .img, and then clicking
> on the .img in 7-zip's window will allow you to open the .img within 7-zip.
> The .img has the files and source directory.  7-zip allows you to move up
> and down as if the archive is a directory.  You can view or extract files as
> needed.  I think that's the easiest way to view or extract the files.
>
> http://www.7-zip.org/
>
> Or, use John Fine's partcopy.exe or Linux dd command, etc. to put the image
> to floppy and boot it.  I'm not sure how to get Mike's files that way
> though...   Ditto when using QEMU to boot and run.  I think you'd need to
> _not_ boot the image, but read/mount it via DOS, Windows, Linux, etc.
>
> Rod Pemberton

Yes, it is a fat12 image with the sources stored in the image in the
directory \SOURCE with cpuid.bin, hello.bin, start, start.txt,
time.bin in the root.

I used a program called firm.com, which works in XP. I don't remember
exactly where I had gotten it, off one of the simtel archives,
probably.

This image doesn't boot for me on my test laptop, a pentium class mmx
with 32mb ram.
From 'power on' boot, my system hangs, from 'reboot' after my test
bootstrap floppy, it also fails, it enters a reboot cycle, fails,
attempts reboot, fails, etc.

I like to hear if anyone can boot it off a floppy.

I dumped the boot sector and verified that the code is the same as
\SOURCE\boot.asm at the critical point in the source where
initialization of the stack is commented out...

start:
xor ax, ax
mov ds, ax
mov es, ax
;mov ss, ax
;mov esp, 7C00h

mov cx, 2 ; sector 2
xor dh, dh ; side 0
mov bx, LOAD_ADDRESS
... without the stack being setup properly, I doubt it'll boot from
floppy in any of my systems. The default stack at bootstrap is at the
top of the IVT, 0000:0400h in most of the rombios's I've been able to
check, mostly dell's, phoenix bios's. On reboot, there is another
location, usually, in the same area. These default stack locations
are too small to depend on.

anyway hth,

Steve