From: Andrew on
Hi All,

I am investigating the chance of PDF merging on our Linux server using
PDFTK, and I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have searched on the server for it (with no luck): find / -name
"pdftk*" -print

I have tried following the info on http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ but
it seems to work and then when I try any of the following, I get
nothing:
pdftk
man pdftk
and the find statement only finds the rpm file or the tar.gz file.

I am not sure how to check the versions of the compilers required, or
what dependencies are needed beforehand.

Our server's details: SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (i586)
VERSION = 9
PATCHLEVEL = 3

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, if I have posted this in
the wrong group I would appreciate info on where to post.

Regards,
Andrew.
From: mjt on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 00:27:34 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew <andrew(a)delta-link.com.au> wrote:

> I have searched on the server for it (with no luck): find / -name
> "pdftk*" -print
>
> I have tried following the info on http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ but
> it seems to work and then when I try any of the following, I get
> nothing:

"it seems to work ... I get nothing"

What does "seems to work" mean?. I would think
either something works or it doesn't.

> pdftk
> man pdftk
> and the find statement only finds the rpm file or the tar.gz file.

If it only finds the rpm and tar file, then that's
all you have (I assume). Have you attempted to install
the product via the RPM (or tar.gz)? If the product is
not installed, it's obvious the binary won't run or the
man page will not be displayed.

Did you download both the rpm and tar file from accesspdf?
Which version did you download?.

Your best bet is to download the most current source package,
then build and install it.

One caveat though ... the latest version of pdftk is 1.41,
released in Nov 2006 - that's pretty old when you consider
the changes that might have happened to PDF from Adobe. My
guess would be that any [minor] changes to the PDF file
structure will not be readable by 'pdftk'.

--
While money doesn't buy love, it puts you in a great bargaining
position.

From: Andrew on
Sorry about that...

I followed the info on the http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ website -
with regards to downloading and installing of the rpm package and I
also tried the "make" commands.

The command: "rpmbuild --rebuild pdftk-1.12-0.src.rpm" seemed to
run without error, but I was not able to find any binary file
called: pdftk
I did try all the rpm packages and source packages.

I think my problem might be the libraries... Not sure have to proceed
in that respect, especially when I got no errors from the rpm command.

If you have know of a program that is more current than pdftk - for
SuSE 9 - that can perform a command line PDF Form merge, then I am all
ears.
From: mjt on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:48:09 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew <andrew(a)delta-link.com.au> wrote:

[snipped]
> If you have know of a program that is more current than pdftk
> for SuSE 9 - that can perform a command line PDF Form merge,
> then I am all ears.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the occasion to work that extensively
with PDFs, but I did a quick search ... I'm sure you've already
come across these tools:

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8229-putting-together-pdf-files
http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/Tools/pdf/Merge.html
http://www.pdfsam.org/
http://pdfbox.apache.org/

I ran the search using the dedicated "Linux" page at Google:
http://www.google.com/linux
using, "pdf merge" (no quotes) as the search term:
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=pdf+merge&btnG=Search

When I have some time later this morning, I'll take
a shot at 'pdftk' under openSUSE 11.2

--
A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody
wants to read.

From: mjt on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:48:09 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew <andrew(a)delta-link.com.au> wrote:

> I followed the info on the http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ website -
> with regards to downloading and installing of the rpm package and I
> also tried the "make" commands.
>
> The command: "rpmbuild --rebuild pdftk-1.12-0.src.rpm" seemed to
> run without error, but I was not able to find any binary file

The rebuild option will generate a binary rpm file, which is
then used to install the binaries/etc (i.e., it does NOT do
a binary install as a final step).

If you've attempted to install the other rpms, specifically
the binary versions, then possibly the executable file does
not reside in the path?

I installed the version from the openSUSE 10.3 repository ...
the executable installed to /usr/bin, which is a standard
executable subdir in the path, which I am certain is where
it installed to on your system, provided the rpm install
was successful.

My suggestion is to download the source tarball and build
it and install it (I'd build it to a binary RPM file to
facilitate easy package installation):
http://www.pdfhacks.com/pdftk/pdftk-1.41.tar.gz

--
All power corrupts, but we need electricity.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>