From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-08-11, Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Loki Harfagr <l0k1(a)thedarkdesign.free.fr.INVALID> wrote in news:4c6280b8$0
> $12223$426a34cc(a)news.free.fr:
>
>> would pidstat be OK?
>># pidstat -d
>
> This sounds useful! Where do I get it from? Can't find it in my centos /
> epel / dag repos. Any pointers? I do have sysstat and iostat installed.

Apparently pidstat was introduced in v8 of sysstat, so it's not yet
available for CentOS/RedHat, which still use v7. You could probably
install v8 from source yourself if you wanted.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Rahul on
Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote in

> Apparently pidstat was introduced in v8 of sysstat, so it's not yet
> available for CentOS/RedHat, which still use v7. You could probably
> install v8 from source yourself if you wanted.

Thanks! I'll probably do that! Sometimes the enterprise distros are a real
pain in the butt. Keep dishing out the dinosaur versions of every damn
package.

--
Rahul
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-08-13, Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks! I'll probably do that! Sometimes the enterprise distros are a real
> pain in the butt. Keep dishing out the dinosaur versions of every damn
> package.

Well, that's the choice you make when you pick an enterprise distro. If
you'd picked something like Fedora, you'd be saying something like,
"Sometimes the cutting edge distros are a real pain in the butt, keep
dishing out bleeding-edge software that doesn't work." The 100% perfect
distribution simply doesn't exist. (So it's fortunate that we can
compile our own software--we can rely on the enterprise distro for
everything else, and build only the essential items we need ourselves.)

--keith

From: Rahul on

> distribution simply doesn't exist. (So it's fortunate that we can
> compile our own software--we can rely on the enterprise distro for
> everything else, and build only the essential items we need ourselves.)

Agreed! But is there a good way to integrate self-compiled versions into
the yum/rpm system? Any tips? e.g. say, in a year CentOS does come up with
the latest version in its defaults is there a way to gracefully make yum
realize that I've already done this update. Or say, I tried to install a
new foopackage that relied on this latest version of barpackage (which I've
self compiled) is there a way to tell it that?

--
Rahul
From: John Hasler on
Rahul writes:
> But is there a good way to integrate self-compiled versions into the
> yum/rpm system?

Build and install your own local packages.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com