From: TrishChin on
I have spreadsheets that have formulas in them and each time I want to find
the values I need to change it in the options. I want the find function to
always look for values
From: Dave Peterson on
Saved from a previous post:

Excel tries to help by remembering the last settings you used--except for the
first search in that session.

You can use that to your advantage.

You could make a dummy workbook and put it in your xlStart folder. Have a
macro in that workbook that does a find (and sets all the stuff the way you
like). Then closes and gets out of the way.

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

'change the settings the way you like
Worksheets(1).Cells.Find What:="", After:=ActiveCell, _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False

ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

Notice that excel's VBA doesn't give you an option to change the sheet/workbook
setting.

The workbook opens, does a find (to fix your settings) and then closes to get
out of the way.

But if you do an Edit|Find and change anything, then those changed settings will
be remembered.

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros here:
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

--

Dave Peterson