From: David Mehler on
Hello,
I've got a php form processing question. I've got a text field like so:

<label for="txtname">Name*:</label>
<input type="text" name="name" id="name" size="30" value="<?php echo
htmlspecialchars($_POST['name']), ENT_QUOTES, UTF-8; ?>" /> <br />

My question is what is the purpose of the id field? I know the name
field is what php references, but am not sure what id is for?
Thanks.
Dave.
From: Adam Richardson on
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:16 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've got a php form processing question. I've got a text field like so:

> <label for="txtname">Name*:</label>
> <input type="text" name="name" id="name" size="30" value="<?php echo
> htmlspecialchars($_POST['name']), ENT_QUOTES, UTF-8; ?>" /> <br />
>
> My question is what is the purpose of the id field? I know the name
> field is what php references, but am not sure what id is for?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Hi Dave,

Sometimes it's helpful to target a specific element for stylistic or
functional purposes, and that's when you'll find an id attribute helpful.

In your example above, label elements use the id in the 'for' attribute
(and, speaking to your example, you should have for="name" instead of
for="txtname"):
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_label.asp

In terms of CSS, you can specifically reference the element by it's id using
the notation tag_name#id_value, and id's have the highest order of
specificity (i.e., if you try and style an element by tag name, class,
and/or id, the id styles are what will take precedent, all other things
equal.)
http://webdesign.about.com/od/cssselectors/qt/cssselid.htm
http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/css_specificity_wars.html

In terms of javascript, you can reference the element by it's id by using
the function getElementById('id_value):
http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/javascript-getelementbyid.php

Just remember that a particular id can only occur once on a page (another
difference between the name attributes in a form, as you could have multiple
forms on a page and each form could have an input with a "zip" name without
issue, but that same page could only have one id with the value "zip".)

That all said, with the advent of javascript data attributes, you'll have
one more way to target elements for design and functionality:
http://ejohn.org/blog/html-5-data-attributes/

Hope this helps,

Adam

--
Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com
From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: Adam Richardson

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:16 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hello,
>> I've got a php form processing question. I've got a text field like
so:

>> <label for="txtname">Name*:</label>
>> <input type="text" name="name" id="name" size="30" value="<?php echo
>> htmlspecialchars($_POST['name']), ENT_QUOTES, UTF-8; ?>" /> <br />
>>
>> My question is what is the purpose of the id field? I know the name
>> field is what php references, but am not sure what id is for?
>
> Sometimes it's helpful to target a specific element for stylistic or
> functional purposes, and that's when you'll find an id attribute
helpful.

> In your example above, label elements use the id in the 'for'
attribute
> (and, speaking to your example, you should have for="name" instead of
> for="txtname"):
> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_label.asp
>
> In terms of CSS, you can specifically reference the element by it's id
using
> the notation tag_name#id_value, and id's have the highest order of
> specificity (i.e., if you try and style an element by tag name, class,
> and/or id, the id styles are what will take precedent, all other
things
> equal.)
> http://webdesign.about.com/od/cssselectors/qt/cssselid.htm
> http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/css_specificity_wars.html
>
> In terms of javascript, you can reference the element by it's id by
using
> the function getElementById('id_value):
> http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/javascript-getelementbyid.php
>
> Just remember that a particular id can only occur once on a page
(another
> difference between the name attributes in a form, as you could have
multiple
> forms on a page and each form could have an input with a "zip" name
without
> issue, but that same page could only have one id with the value
"zip".)

> That all said, with the advent of javascript data attributes, you'll
have
> one more way to target elements for design and functionality:
> http://ejohn.org/blog/html-5-data-attributes/

If you look at the current HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 specification, you
will find 'name' is no longer listed as a standard attribute. It is all
but obsolete and has been replaced by 'id' almost everywhere. They
actually recommend you put both attributes into tags with identical
values until your applications can be updated to drop all uses of the
name attribute.

<http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp>

Bob McConnell
From: Peter Lind on
On 1 July 2010 14:38, Bob McConnell <rvm(a)cbord.com> wrote:
> From: Adam Richardson
>
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:16 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I've got a php form processing question. I've got a text field like
> so:

>>> <label for="txtname">Name*:</label>
>>> <input type="text" name="name" id="name" size="30" value="<?php echo
>>> htmlspecialchars($_POST['name']), ENT_QUOTES, UTF-8; ?>" /> <br />
>>>
>>> My question is what is the purpose of the id field? I know the name
>>> field is what php references, but am not sure what id is for?
>>
>> Sometimes it's helpful to target a specific element for stylistic or
>> functional purposes, and that's when you'll find an id attribute
> helpful.
>>
>> In your example above, label elements use the id in the 'for'
> attribute
>> (and, speaking to your example, you should have for="name" instead of
>> for="txtname"):
>> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_label.asp
>>
>> In terms of CSS, you can specifically reference the element by it's id
> using
>> the notation tag_name#id_value, and id's have the highest order of
>> specificity (i.e., if you try and style an element by tag name, class,
>> and/or id, the id styles are what will take precedent, all other
> things
>> equal.)
>> http://webdesign.about.com/od/cssselectors/qt/cssselid.htm
>> http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/css_specificity_wars.html
>>
>> In terms of javascript, you can reference the element by it's id by
> using
>> the function getElementById('id_value):
>> http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/javascript-getelementbyid.php
>>
>> Just remember that a particular id can only occur once on a page
> (another
>> difference between the name attributes in a form, as you could have
> multiple
>> forms on a page and each form could have an input with a "zip" name
> without
>> issue, but that same page could only have one id with the value
> "zip".)
>>
>> That all said, with the advent of javascript data attributes, you'll
> have
>> one more way to target elements for design and functionality:
>> http://ejohn.org/blog/html-5-data-attributes/
>
> If you look at the current HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 specification, you
> will find 'name' is no longer listed as a standard attribute. It is all
> but obsolete and has been replaced by 'id' almost everywhere. They
> actually recommend you put both attributes into tags with identical
> values until your applications can be updated to drop all uses of the
> name attribute.
>
> <http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp>

Errr, what? Name is by no means obsolete for forms. Have a look at
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/association-of-controls-and-forms.html#attr-fe-name
- it's still in the html5 spec and there's little to no chance of it
going away any time soon.

Relying on w3schools is not ... really advisable.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: Peter Lind

> On 1 July 2010 14:38, Bob McConnell <rvm(a)cbord.com> wrote:
>> From: Adam Richardson
>>
>>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:16 PM, David Mehler
<dave.mehler(a)gmail.com>

>> so:

>>> Sometimes it's helpful to target a specific element for stylistic or
>>> functional purposes, and that's when you'll find an id attribute
>> helpful.
>>>
>>> In your example above, label elements use the id in the 'for'
>> attribute
>>> (and, speaking to your example, you should have for="name" instead
of
>>> for="txtname"):
>>> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_label.asp
>>>
>>> In terms of CSS, you can specifically reference the element by it's
id
>> using
>>> the notation tag_name#id_value, and id's have the highest order of
>>> specificity (i.e., if you try and style an element by tag name,
class,
>>> and/or id, the id styles are what will take precedent, all other
>> things
>>> equal.)
>>> http://webdesign.about.com/od/cssselectors/qt/cssselid.htm
>>> http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/css_specificity_wars.html
>>>
>>> In terms of javascript, you can reference the element by it's id by
>> using
>>> the function getElementById('id_value):
>>> http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/javascript-getelementbyid.php
>>>
>>> Just remember that a particular id can only occur once on a page
>> (another
>>> difference between the name attributes in a form, as you could have
>> multiple
>>> forms on a page and each form could have an input with a "zip" name
>> without
>>> issue, but that same page could only have one id with the value
>> "zip".)
>>>
>>> That all said, with the advent of javascript data attributes, you'll
>> have
>>> one more way to target elements for design and functionality:
>>> http://ejohn.org/blog/html-5-data-attributes/
>>
>> If you look at the current HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 specification, you
>> will find 'name' is no longer listed as a standard attribute. It is
all
>> but obsolete and has been replaced by 'id' almost everywhere. They
>> actually recommend you put both attributes into tags with identical
>> values until your applications can be updated to drop all uses of the
>> name attribute.
>>
>> <http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp>
>>

> Errr, what? Name is by no means obsolete for forms. Have a look at

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/association-of-controls-and-forms.html#attr
-fe-name
> - it's still in the html5 spec and there's little to no chance of it
> going away any time soon.

HTML5 is years away from completion and still changes far too often, so
we don't consider it nearly ready for prime time. XHTML is here now, has
several usable validation suites and has been stable for years. That's
more of a reasonable target for commercial products.

> Relying on w3schools is not ... really advisable.

Where else would you go? Even W3C doesn't publish decent reference
documents, and their specifications are inscrutable to normal human
beings.

Bob McConnell
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5