From: Paul Jinks on
I'm considering my options for making quizzes mostly multiple choice
type of thing, but also 'filling in the gaps'. This is in support of
educational materials I'm working on. So far I've looked at Flash and
javascript but have concerns about accessibility for both of these.

Does anyone have any experience of writing quizzes with php and if so,
can you recommend any resources to get me started?

TIA

Paul
From: tedd on
At 4:12 PM +0100 4/26/10, Paul Jinks wrote:
>I'm considering my options for making quizzes mostly multiple choice
>type of thing, but also 'filling in the gaps'. This is in support of
>educational materials I'm working on. So far I've looked at Flash and
>javascript but have concerns about accessibility for both of these.
>
>Does anyone have any experience of writing quizzes with php and if so,
>can you recommend any resources to get me started?
>
>TIA
>
>Paul

Paul:

I have written surveys/quizzes, but have not found a lot of resources for it.

I use javascript usually to handle minor user things, such as "Please
answer the question before moving on" or "Rank these items in order
of importance", or other such immediate demands of the user, but
still the user input not to be trusted. IOW, you still have to scrub
everything.

While I could use Flash, I choose not for it would simply make my
work-load harder.

Quizzes and such are just a long cascade of forms.

I usually use one form and populate it with questions (content and
type) from a database. Then when the user submits their data, I then
save the answer as a independent record with ties to the "test",
"question" and responder. The database design takes some thought to
set up correctly.

In the end, there is not really anything that hard about this, it's
just collecting information from the user via a form and storing that
information in a database.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: Dotan Cohen on
On 26 April 2010 18:12, Paul Jinks <paul(a)pauljinks.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm considering my options for making quizzes mostly multiple choice
> type of thing, but also 'filling in the gaps'. This is in support of
> educational materials I'm working on. So far I've looked at Flash and
> javascript but have concerns about accessibility for both of these.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of writing quizzes with php and if so,
> can you recommend any resources to get me started?
>
> TIA
>
> Paul

HTML has a <form> element with radio buttons, text fields, and more. Use that.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com
From: Adam Richardson on
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> At 4:12 PM +0100 4/26/10, Paul Jinks wrote:
>
>> I'm considering my options for making quizzes mostly multiple choice
>> type of thing, but also 'filling in the gaps'. This is in support of
>> educational materials I'm working on. So far I've looked at Flash and
>> javascript but have concerns about accessibility for both of these.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience of writing quizzes with php and if so,
>> can you recommend any resources to get me started?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Paul:
>
> I have written surveys/quizzes, but have not found a lot of resources for
> it.
>
> I use javascript usually to handle minor user things, such as "Please
> answer the question before moving on" or "Rank these items in order of
> importance", or other such immediate demands of the user, but still the user
> input not to be trusted. IOW, you still have to scrub everything.
>
> While I could use Flash, I choose not for it would simply make my work-load
> harder.
>
> Quizzes and such are just a long cascade of forms.
>
> I usually use one form and populate it with questions (content and type)
> from a database. Then when the user submits their data, I then save the
> answer as a independent record with ties to the "test", "question" and
> responder. The database design takes some thought to set up correctly.
>
> In the end, there is not really anything that hard about this, it's just
> collecting information from the user via a form and storing that information
> in a database.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>

> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com

If you were going to use Flash, I'd go the Flex route as it makes short work
of this kind of view.

Ted already mentioned the DB route using PHP, but you could also use PHP to
set up an XML schema that represents quizes (e.g., <quiz><question
the html form is automatically built up from an XML document), you could
just have the results emailed to an account as individual TSV file
attachments (that's why I included the email tag in the example above),
making it easy for anyone to tally the results after dragging the documents
into Excel.

Last, you can also leverage existing technologies. In addition to quiz
generators available online, Google Docs allows you to create forms that
store responses in spreadsheets (Create New -> Form). You can choose from a
variety of response types (text, multiple choice, etc.), and it works quite
well.

Just tossing out ideas ;)

Adam

--
Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com