From: "Michael A. Peters" on
Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> There is a good reason for having different stylesheets that use
> differing colour systems. For example, some people with learning
> difficulties benefit from yellow text on blue backgrounds, as apparently
> those colours together are better at capturing a users attention for
> longer durations. This is often coupled with other layout changes such
> as narrower width text blocks to aid readability.

It's also not a bad idea to have a layout designed for small computer
screens, 1024x is what most of my style sheets are designed for but one
is designed for 800x.

There are still some people with small displays, and horizontal
scrolling really sucks.
From: Stephan Ebelt on
On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:22:07AM +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
[...]
> > in CSS there is also the concept of 'alternate stylesheets' build in. A
> > page can basically specify as many stylesheets as it wants where one is
> > default and all others are 'alternate'. The browser will then offer menu
> > entries for the user to choose from. Ie in firefox you can choose the style
> > from the menu at: View -> Page Style -> ...
> >
> > Here's how it works in detail:
> > http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/alternatives (note that this site also
> > has alternate styles available)
> >
> > PHP could be used to define the default style sheet on a per
> > user/application setting basis...
> >
> > stephan
> >

> The only problem relying only on this method is that not all browsers
> are compatible with it, and of those that are, none remember the choice
> a user makes from page to page, so they'd have to reselect it upon each
> page visit

yes, it can't be relied on it.

I made the primary method for configuring the theme an user setting in the
application. This setting is very easy to implement as it just defines the
theme that is shown first and without 'alternate' attribute in each page header
(unaware browsers will take this too as its the standard syntax). All other
themes are then added in a row with the 'alternate' attribute set. So that all
themes available in the program are always advertized to the browser.

The goody is that users can quickly change the theme if they feel a need to do
so right in the heat of the moment. It wont permanently modify their setting.
Its perfect to just try themes at any place in the application or to do
something specific with a different theme... the page doesn't reload (in
firefox), so one can even change the theme in the middle of filling a form...
very flexible.

As far as I've seen unaware browsers just ignore the 'alternate' lines, so
there's no harm.

stephan

From: David Mehler on
Hello Everyone,
Thank you for the various positions and suggestions.
I'm going for either cookies or sessions, your examples have given me
much to check. For this situation I should probably have mentioned I
need to keep this as simple as possible, so features like a user login
system and cms i'd prefer to avoid for these circumstances.
I am going to implement browser detection as my user's will use both
firefox and IE probably ie6 through 8.
For firefox you can use view, page style to switch stylesheets, but in
ie if there's no drop down box or links on the page for switching
styles it can't do it, is that correct?
Thank you all, i'm going to look at the many links sent and keep at
this until i get it.
Dave.