From: Bo on
Jim,

I was perusing your website and happened upon your patent regarding
demodulating of FSK. Is this the currently easiest/best way to decode FSK?
Or would I be better off doing with SW and microcontroller?

I was thinking that a comparator with hysteresis to minimize noise could be
used to 'square up' the input signal and then I could just use a timer on
the uC to count transitions over the bit time. The freqs are 1562.5 and
2083.3 with 520.83 bit/sec rate--- giving 3 or 4, respective, transitions
per bit time. Is this a good way to do it or is there another easier/better
way?

Thanks,

Bo

PS. Thanks to Tim Wescott for pointing out that you are--not
comp.arch.embedded...where I originally posted.

From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:23:56 -0500, "Bo" <bo(a)cephus.com> wrote:

>Jim,
>
>I was perusing your website and happened upon your patent regarding
>demodulating of FSK. Is this the currently easiest/best way to decode FSK?
>Or would I be better off doing with SW and microcontroller?

Most now use SW to decode FSK, but the analog approach generally
yields better performance in low signal-to-noise situations. When I
designed that scheme I was working in the dark ages with acoustic-muff
coupling to telephones running at 300-1K Baud ;-)

>I was thinking that a comparator with hysteresis to minimize noise could be
>used to 'square up' the input signal and then I could just use a timer on
>the uC to count transitions over the bit time. The freqs are 1562.5 and
>2083.3 with 520.83 bit/sec rate--- giving 3 or 4, respective, transitions
>per bit time. Is this a good way to do it or is there another easier/better
>way?

Using a comparator on analog signals often aggravates the noise.

>Thanks,
>
>Bo
>
>PS. Thanks to Tim Wescott for pointing out that you are--not
>comp.arch.embedded...where I originally posted.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

From: Joerg on
Hello Bo,

> I was perusing your website and happened upon your patent regarding
> demodulating of FSK. Is this the currently easiest/best way to decode FSK?
> Or would I be better off doing with SW and microcontroller?

As Jim said, much of this is now done in firmware. Look at DTMF decoder
app notes in the TI MSP430 section or at other uC manufacturers. In my
experience the lion's share of this job is to provide a nice matched
filter for the FSK tones. Steep yet good pulse response, good time
domain behavior and unconditional stability. Wave digital filters are
quite efficient here. The rest is pretty trivial, usually. Unless you
get into esoteric modulation schemes.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:50:27 GMT, Joerg
<notthisjoergsch(a)removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>Hello Bo,
>

>> I was perusing your website and happened upon your patent regarding
>> demodulating of FSK. Is this the currently easiest/best way to decode FSK?
>> Or would I be better off doing with SW and microcontroller?
>>

>As Jim said, much of this is now done in firmware. Look at DTMF decoder
>app notes in the TI MSP430 section or at other uC manufacturers. In my
>experience the lion's share of this job is to provide a nice matched
>filter for the FSK tones. Steep yet good pulse response, good time
>domain behavior and unconditional stability. Wave digital filters are
>quite efficient here. The rest is pretty trivial, usually. Unless you
>get into esoteric modulation schemes.
>
>Regards, Joerg
>
>http://www.analogconsultants.com

Wideband FSK is nontrivial to decode in software. The Bell 202 spec
was 1200 baud async, shifting between 1200 to 2200 Hz, so you get very
few edges to work with. A decent analog FSK decoder will deliver very
nice, low jitter 1200 baud serial data here.

John

From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:47:43 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:50:27 GMT, Joerg
><notthisjoergsch(a)removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>
>>Hello Bo,
>>

>>> I was perusing your website and happened upon your patent regarding
>>> demodulating of FSK. Is this the currently easiest/best way to decode FSK?
>>> Or would I be better off doing with SW and microcontroller?
>>>

>>As Jim said, much of this is now done in firmware. Look at DTMF decoder
>>app notes in the TI MSP430 section or at other uC manufacturers. In my
>>experience the lion's share of this job is to provide a nice matched
>>filter for the FSK tones. Steep yet good pulse response, good time
>>domain behavior and unconditional stability. Wave digital filters are
>>quite efficient here. The rest is pretty trivial, usually. Unless you
>>get into esoteric modulation schemes.
>>
>>Regards, Joerg
>>
>>http://www.analogconsultants.com
>

>Wideband FSK is nontrivial to decode in software. The Bell 202 spec
>was 1200 baud async, shifting between 1200 to 2200 Hz, so you get very
>few edges to work with. A decent analog FSK decoder will deliver very
>nice, low jitter 1200 baud serial data here.
>
>John

Yep. My circuit simply implements the classic "S-curve" discriminator
in an active filter manner. Performance in a noisy environment is
great!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
| E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: FFT in OpenCV
Next: TalkThrough ADSP BF533