From: Plamen Ratchev on
Can you explain how this works and provides the correct answers?
Tables have no order and nothing guarantees that the first CASE
expression will sum 7, and the next one 7 + 3 = 10... Maybe I
misunderstood your initial request and order of summing really does
not matter, but then not sure what is the purpose of the query.

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Wes Groleau (Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org) writes:
> On 07-26-2010 16:13, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>> It certainly had help if you had posted a CREATE TABLE statement for your
>> table and some sample data. But if I am to guess, this works:
>
> I assumed that reducing the question to the essentials would
> make discerning the answer easier.
>
>> SELECT event, A, B, C,
>> [P< 1] = SUM(CASE WHEN P< 1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),
>> [P< 2] = SUM(CASE WHEN P< 2 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),
>> [P< 3] = SUM(CASE WHEN P< 3 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)
>> FROM tbl
>> GROUP BY event, A, B, C
>>
>> If this is flat wrong, please read my response from the beginning and act
>> accordingly.
>
> Actually, it's quite close. Perhaps my failure to post a zillion
> words was not a failure after all. The only flaw is that "event"
> was a generic description of each record rather than a field in
> the record.

In all honesty, what I provided was a guess. Plamen and Joe took your
question to be about running totals, and I can hardly blame them.

I do spend quite some time of answer people's questions on the newsgroups,
and believe of that times to understand what the poster is asking for.
You don't have to provide a zillion words, but a standard recommendation
is that you provide:

o CREATE TABLE statement for your table(s), preferrably simplified.
o INSERT statement with sample data.
o The desired result given the sample.
o A short description of the underlying business rules.
o Which version of SQL Server you are using.

This helps to make clarify things, and also makes it possible to
copy and paste into SSMS to develop a tested solution.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-27-2010 04:09, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> You don't have to provide a zillion words, but a standard recommendation
> is that you provide:
>
> o CREATE TABLE statement for your table(s), preferrably simplified.
> o INSERT statement with sample data.
> o The desired result given the sample.
> o A short description of the underlying business rules.
> o Which version of SQL Server you are using.

I can see that all of this would be clearer than what I posted,
but I thought I got the basic idea in one screen where all of this
would have taken a lot of scrolling and examining to integrate
mentally. I guess people just approach problems differently.

The most embarrassing part is that I have done plenty with
aggregates and CASE and should have thought of that solution.
And having worked with three versions of SQL Server, I should
have known to post the version.

Anyway, thanks for the answer and no hard feelings to those who tried.

--
Wes Groleau

The Miracle Worker?
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=668
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Wes Groleau (Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org) writes:
> I can see that all of this would be clearer than what I posted,
> but I thought I got the basic idea in one screen where all of this
> would have taken a lot of scrolling and examining to integrate
> mentally. I guess people just approach problems differently.

If you want to read a story about Sherlock Holmes, would you have a
complete book, or a very compact summary of the plot, where involved
people are introduced without a context?

The problem is that when you make your compact presentation, you know
exactly what you are talking about. But we on the other end do not.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-27-2010 17:46, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> The problem is that when you make your compact presentation, you know
> exactly what you are talking about. But we on the other end do not.

Fair enough. Then again, I've seen people presented with the full
details get side-tracked by details that are irrelevant to the
question. For example, in my application,

A char(1),
B char(1),
C char(4)

I said merely that there were columns A, B, and C because the solution
would have been exactly the same if they were varbinary(2000), money,
or dates.

If I get stuck again, I will certainly consider the preferred
questioning style should I choose to post here.

Or maybe I'll go back to another forum where I got the same answer,
but where they seem to prefer the style I prefer. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

Do people learn languages by studying grammar? Of course.
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=996