From: basenji.12 on
I have a pixel size designated website problem. I just finished my
first website - and now realize I should have created it different
(percentage base would have worked better). I'm looking for an easy
solution to fix the problem - if there is one! I'm using Dreamweaver
8, I created the site using layers (they are a lot of images) - and
my site size is 1024 x 768. Which is not viewing great in laptops/
notebooks - size opens too large to be viewed without scrolling. I
should have created it at a smaller size. Is there an easy way to
switch to a percentage based size?

It loads fine - just need upload the corrected contact page - had a
few errors. I have a temporary domain name in case you want to check
out the site: oliverpaintingcom.ipage.com I'm currently waiting for
the real domain name transfer to be done.
Thanks for any help!
From: Duncan Kennedy on
basenji.12 <lorrainegelard(a)optonline.net> wrote:

> I have a pixel size designated website problem. I just finished my
> first website - and now realize I should have created it different
> (percentage base would have worked better). I'm looking for an easy
> solution to fix the problem - if there is one! I'm using Dreamweaver
> 8, I created the site using layers (they are a lot of images) - and
> my site size is 1024 x 768. Which is not viewing great in laptops/
> notebooks - size opens too large to be viewed without scrolling. I
> should have created it at a smaller size. Is there an easy way to
> switch to a percentage based size?

I see you have it set in your style sheet entry - if you change the
width to % that might do it - others who do this may be able to comment.
If you moved all your styles to a separate style sheet instead of
embedding it in each page one change would do the lot.

Most sites seem to be designed in 800 pixels wide these days. Remember
that 100% is going to be all over a lot of big wide screens and
difficult to view - very wide but very shallow (Those with wide screens
tend to restrict the width anyway). Do remember that it is very
difficult to read smallish text on any width wider than 450 to 500
pixels - that is inclined to make for a lot of spare blank space on some
layouts and screw up your nice layout if you don't watch out for it.

--
duncank