From: Barry Samuels on
Desktop and Laptop both have Debian Testing installed and up to date; both
with self-compiled kernel 2.6.32.

I have a CurrentCost electricity usage monitor which is normally connected
to my desktop via USB and is working properly. When the unit is plugged in
I get a number of lines in syslog like so:

kernel: usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12
kernel: pl2303 4-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
kernel: usb 4-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I am trying to get this same device working on my laptop but this time I
see the following in syslog:

kernel: pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver

but nothing else i.e no 'attached to ttyUSB0'. Looking in /dev there is no
ttyUSBn

Whereas the desktop also loads the pl2303 and usbserial kernel modules
automatically when the device is connected the laptop does not and when I
load them manually I get only the above mentioned line in syslog.

When the USB device is plugged in there is apparently no reaction from the
operating system on the laptop when watching /var/syslog using 'tail'.
That, I think, is the main problem. Other USB devices on the laptop do
work.

Needless to say the software which monitors the device won't connect.

Any suggestions please?

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:02:11 +0100
Barry Samuels <barry(a)beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:

> Desktop and Laptop both have Debian Testing installed and up to date; both
> with self-compiled kernel 2.6.32.
>
> I have a CurrentCost electricity usage monitor which is normally connected
> to my desktop via USB and is working properly. When the unit is plugged in
> I get a number of lines in syslog like so:
>
> kernel: usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12
> kernel: pl2303 4-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
> kernel: usb 4-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
>
> I am trying to get this same device working on my laptop but this time I
> see the following in syslog:
>
> kernel: pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
>
> but nothing else i.e no 'attached to ttyUSB0'. Looking in /dev there is no
> ttyUSBn
>
> Whereas the desktop also loads the pl2303 and usbserial kernel modules
> automatically when the device is connected the laptop does not and when I
> load them manually I get only the above mentioned line in syslog.
>
> When the USB device is plugged in there is apparently no reaction from the
> operating system on the laptop when watching /var/syslog using 'tail'.
> That, I think, is the main problem. Other USB devices on the laptop do
> work.
>
> Needless to say the software which monitors the device won't connect.
>
> Any suggestions please?

Are you using the *exact* same kernel on both systems? Do you have the
same problem with a Debian stock kernel? [The first step when
debugging problems with self-compiled kernels is always to check if the
problem exists with stock kernels, or only with one's own.[

Celejar

On 09/08/10 17:41:28, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:02:11 +0100
> Barry Samuels <barry(a)beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Desktop and Laptop both have Debian Testing installed and up to date;
> > both with self-compiled kernel 2.6.32.
> >
> > I have a CurrentCost electricity usage monitor which is normally
> > connected to my desktop via USB and is working properly. When the unit
> > is plugged in I get a number of lines in syslog like so:
> >
> > kernel: usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address
> > 12
> > kernel: pl2303 4-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
> > kernel: usb 4-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> >
> > I am trying to get this same device working on my laptop but this time
> > I see the following in syslog:
> >
> > kernel: pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
> >
> > but nothing else i.e no 'attached to ttyUSB0'. Looking in /dev there
> > is no ttyUSBn
> >
> > Whereas the desktop also loads the pl2303 and usbserial kernel modules
> > automatically when the device is connected the laptop does not and
> > when I load them manually I get only the above mentioned line in
> > syslog.
> >
> > When the USB device is plugged in there is apparently no reaction from
> > the operating system on the laptop when watching /var/syslog using
> > 'tail'. That, I think, is the main problem. Other USB devices on the
> > laptop do work.
> >
> > Needless to say the software which monitors the device won't connect.
> >
> > Any suggestions please?
>
> Are you using the *exact* same kernel on both systems?

No of course not. One's a desktop the other's a laptop and they both have
different requirements e.g. different graphics drivers.

> Do you have the same problem with a Debian stock kernel? The first
> step when debugging problems with self-compiled kernels is always to
> check if the problem exists with stock kernels, or only with one's own.

I haven't tried a stock kernel but I have, since, tried a Knoppix Live DVD
in the laptop and it doesn't work with that either. No reaction from the
OS when the device is plugged in. I don't know if Knoppix uses a stock
kernel.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk
The Unofficial Guide to Great Britain

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:13:49 +0100
Barry Samuels <barry(a)beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:

> On 09/08/10 17:41:28, Celejar wrote:
> > On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:02:11 +0100
> > Barry Samuels <barry(a)beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Desktop and Laptop both have Debian Testing installed and up to date;
> > > both with self-compiled kernel 2.6.32.
> > >
> > > I have a CurrentCost electricity usage monitor which is normally
> > > connected to my desktop via USB and is working properly. When the unit
> > > is plugged in I get a number of lines in syslog like so:
> > >
> > > kernel: usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address
> > > 12
> > > kernel: pl2303 4-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
> > > kernel: usb 4-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> > >
> > > I am trying to get this same device working on my laptop but this time
> > > I see the following in syslog:
> > >
> > > kernel: pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
> > >
> > > but nothing else i.e no 'attached to ttyUSB0'. Looking in /dev there
> > > is no ttyUSBn
> > >
> > > Whereas the desktop also loads the pl2303 and usbserial kernel modules
> > > automatically when the device is connected the laptop does not and
> > > when I load them manually I get only the above mentioned line in
> > > syslog.
> > >
> > > When the USB device is plugged in there is apparently no reaction from
> > > the operating system on the laptop when watching /var/syslog using
> > > 'tail'. That, I think, is the main problem. Other USB devices on the
> > > laptop do work.
> > >
> > > Needless to say the software which monitors the device won't connect.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions please?
> >
> > Are you using the *exact* same kernel on both systems?
>
> No of course not. One's a desktop the other's a laptop and they both have
> different requirements e.g. different graphics drivers.

The point is that you may have configured something crucial differently
on the two.

> > Do you have the same problem with a Debian stock kernel? The first
> > step when debugging problems with self-compiled kernels is always to
> > check if the problem exists with stock kernels, or only with one's own.
>
> I haven't tried a stock kernel but I have, since, tried a Knoppix Live DVD
> in the laptop and it doesn't work with that either. No reaction from the
> OS when the device is plugged in. I don't know if Knoppix uses a stock
> kernel.

I assume that it does use a "kitchen sink" kernel, so I'll admit
bafflement as to why it's not picking up the device.

Celejar