From: Phil Smith on
Thanks. So is there really no difference between period and exclamation
point, just an aesthetics/visibility issue? Because Access seems to use
it a lot in table. field combinations, and other SQL engines don't seem
to appreciate it...

I am running into some significant speed issues on some reports, and am
beginning to change some of the queries to passthrough queries. It is
not as simple as I would have hoped to convert these over.

Learning a lot though...

Thanx

From: Bob Barrows on
If you're going to be porting to other database systems as you implied
in the other post, then use periods instead of the exclamation points,
which are more of a VBA artifact.

If you do have references to form objects in your queries, you need to
be aware that those form objects will not be in the scope of the remote
database when used in a passthrough query, so errors will result. You
will need to use VBA to replace the reference to the form object in the
query's SQL property with the actual value of the form object before
running the query.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Bob Barrows on
I can't answer for MySQL, but brackets are used the same way in MS SQL.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Phil Smith on
I am aware that I need to put my controls into my final queries
discretely. I have only one problem with that. Dates.

What is the easiest way to convert an Acess date/time field, to a
straight SQL compatible date as I assemble my query?

Phil

From: Bob Barrows on
Use this for SQL Server:
Format(<date-time value>, "yyyymmdd hh:mm:ss")
making sure you delimit it with apostrophes (single quotes), so the
query that gets passed through to sql server looks like this:
" ... WHERE somedatecolumn > '20100201 13:00:00'; "

I'm not sure what works for MySQL

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows