From: Alex on
/dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:27:21PM +0200, Alex wrote:
>> Noel Jones wrote:
>>> No, that's not how postfix works. Only the "current" recipient
>>> is rejected. Every other recipient gets their own chance to be
>>> accepted or rejected.
>
> snip
>> Thank you for you answer but I can't figure what is wrong. I
>> review my config and make more tests. The relevant part is that :
>>
>> 1. if I use telnet , connect to the server
>>
>> Mail From:<test(a)mydomain.tld>
>> RCPT TO:<recipient1>
>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
>> RCPT TO:<recipient2> #listed recipient
>> 554 5.7.1 <recipient2>: Recipient address rejected: some text
>> DATA
>
> Different SMTP clients act differently. Here you are the client.
> You're remembering that you had a 250 for recipient1, so you did
> not abort at the 554 for recipient2. You went on through DATA,
> successfully completing the SMTP session.
>
>> 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
>> test
>> .
>> 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as A532D67CC4B
>>
>> The message is delivered to the first recipient (correct and
>> described behavior)
>
> And this is typical of MTA SMTP clients.
>
>> I have put the server in verbose mode and do the same test but
>> with thunderbird and a webmail client.
>
> snip
>> Both recipients are evaluated , the second gets rejected but no
>> message is delivered (to the first recipient)
>
> You cut out the relevant part of the logs, which in NON-verbose mode
> would have probably showed the client disconnecting. It ended the
> session without DATA.
>
>> Viktor also wrote :
>> "From false premises (the above is not true), you get false
>> conclusions. Postfix rejects just the recipient in question. If the
>> sending SMTP client fails to process the rejection of a single
>> recipient out of many correctly, then this client is the problem.
>> Generally, only MUAs and other "submission" SMTP talkers have such
>> issues. If you are an MSA for poorly"
>
> Thunderbird is a MUA, a submission client. It's not a MTA. It looks
> like it considers any rejection to be absolute. "Attachment issues,"
> you might call it in psychobabble; it cannot handle rejection.
>
> Maybe it's a bug ... strictly speaking it is, but the role of a MUA
> is different, so perhaps this is the best thing for a MUA to do. It
> alerts the user that his/her recipient list has problems, and forces
> the user to correct those problems before sending the mail.
>
> As Victor was saying, this is not uncommon for submission clients.

Thank you /dev/rob0

>You cut out the relevant part of the logs, which in NON-verbose mode
> would have probably showed the client disconnecting. It ended the
> session without DATA.

that's correct :

postfix/smtpd[5652]: > unknown[myip]: 554 5.7.1 <recipient2>: Recipient
address rejected: text
postfix/smtpd[5652]: < unknown[myip]: QUIT
postfix/smtpd[5652]: > unknown[myip]: 221 2.0.0 Bye

after the second RCPT To evaluation, MUA doesn't send DATA , it give up
by sending QUIT command.

Thank you all
Alex

First  |  Prev  |