From: Robert Myers on
On May 26, 1:43 pm, timcaff...(a)aol.com (Tim McCaffrey) wrote:

> There is a bit of future shock with modern embedded systems.  I've worked on a
> I/O board that offloaded Disk & Network I/O, handled Gigabit speeds on the
> network (with a complete TCP/IP stack) & 4G Fiber channel, and it didn't
> (really) use interrupts.  All with a single 800 Mhz MIPS processor.
>
> Well, they were there, but it would have been more efficient just to use
> polling (the interrupts just kicked started the poll, more or less), but I
> couldn't convince the PTW to make the switch.  All the real processing on the
> system was done with the interrupts disabled.

That all sounds pretty sensible to me, but, to be honest, had I such a
board, I wouldn't care whether it polled or used interrupts, just so
long as it kept as many interrupts as possible away from expensive and
power hungry processors that are doing whatever it is that I'm really
interested in.

For the life of me, I can't understand the logic of computer systems
that shovel all tasks into one hopper, even if it means constantly
interrupting tasks that might well have interrupted another task. I
suspect the influence of some legacy (PC?) mentality, but I'm sure
there is someone here who can set me straight.

Robert.

From: nmm1 on
In article <7b6474ee-81dd-4ab7-be1d-756a544ed515(a)u7g2000vbq.googlegroups.com>,
Robert Myers <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>For the life of me, I can't understand the logic of computer systems
>that shovel all tasks into one hopper, even if it means constantly
>interrupting tasks that might well have interrupted another task. I
>suspect the influence of some legacy (PC?) mentality, but I'm sure
>there is someone here who can set me straight.

I can correct your query. The 'mentality' is older than personal
computers, goes back as long as I can recall, and has NEVER made
any sense! I think that it's a relic of the days when the hardware
designers were subdeities, and the software people were expected to
be thankful for whatever they were given. But the origin was before
my time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Rick Jones on
Tim McCaffrey <timcaffrey(a)aol.com> wrote:
> There is a bit of future shock with modern embedded systems. I've
> worked on a I/O board that offloaded Disk & Network I/O, handled
> Gigabit speeds on the network (with a complete TCP/IP stack) & 4G
> Fiber channel, and it didn't (really) use interrupts. All with a
> single 800 Mhz MIPS processor.

Ah, but with what size TCP segments or UDP datagrams?-) It is one
thing to handle Gigabit speeds with CKO and TSO (and perhaps LRO) and
large sends but getting to link-rate with small segments is another
entirely.

rick jones
From: FredK on

<nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
> In article
> <7b6474ee-81dd-4ab7-be1d-756a544ed515(a)u7g2000vbq.googlegroups.com>,
> Robert Myers <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>For the life of me, I can't understand the logic of computer systems
>>that shovel all tasks into one hopper, even if it means constantly
>>interrupting tasks that might well have interrupted another task. I
>>suspect the influence of some legacy (PC?) mentality, but I'm sure
>>there is someone here who can set me straight.
>
> I can correct your query. The 'mentality' is older than personal
> computers, goes back as long as I can recall, and has NEVER made
> any sense! I think that it's a relic of the days when the hardware
> designers were subdeities, and the software people were expected to
> be thankful for whatever they were given. But the origin was before
> my time.

You are on a PDP11 and you want to have IO. Propose the alternative to
interrupts that provides low latency servicing of the device. Today you can
create elaborate IO cards with offload engines, but ultimately you need to
talk to the actual computer system which is otherwise engaged in general
computing.

On many (most? all?) of todays SMP systems you can generally (depending on
the OS I suppose) direct IO interrupts to specific CPUs and have CPUs that
may get no interrupts (or only limited interrupts like a clock interrupt).

From: nmm1 on
In article <htjt4h$pi0$1(a)usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
FredK <fred.nospam(a)dec.com> wrote:

>>>For the life of me, I can't understand the logic of computer systems
>>>that shovel all tasks into one hopper, even if it means constantly
>>>interrupting tasks that might well have interrupted another task. I
>>>suspect the influence of some legacy (PC?) mentality, but I'm sure
>>>there is someone here who can set me straight.
>>
>> I can correct your query. The 'mentality' is older than personal
>> computers, goes back as long as I can recall, and has NEVER made
>> any sense! I think that it's a relic of the days when the hardware
>> designers were subdeities, and the software people were expected to
>> be thankful for whatever they were given. But the origin was before
>> my time.
>
>You are on a PDP11 and you want to have IO. Propose the alternative to
>interrupts that provides low latency servicing of the device. Today you can
>create elaborate IO cards with offload engines, but ultimately you need to
>talk to the actual computer system which is otherwise engaged in general
>computing.

Sigh. You really haven't been following this group. There are two
issues there:

1) There are plenty of well-tried alternatives to interrupts
though, if you start with a PDP 10, I will agree that they are a
plausible approach.

2) The context of this wasn't interrupts versus something else,
but funnelling ALL such actions though a single mechanism that is
unsatisfactory for almost all of them. For example, there is
absolutely NO reason why a floating-point fixup need execute a
FLIH in God mode, only to be restored to the mode of the process
that was interrupted. The Ferranti Atlas/Titan and ICL 1900
didn't do it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.