From: Rick on
I have 1 ftp server and 3 simple pc's.
Only the ftp server gets "port scanned".
How do they know to scan that one?

From: Moe Trin on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in
article <hlrirp$grn$5(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Rick wrote:

>I have 1 ftp server and 3 simple pc's.
>Only the ftp server gets "port scanned".
>How do they know to scan that one?

They don't. Are all four systems equally visible from the world?
Does each one have it's own `world reachable' IP address? Are they
all in the same range of IP addresses, in the same facility? Are
they all using the same version operating system? Are all of them
equally active? Are all of them equally `clean'? Work stations
generally don't offer services to the Internet, but if you are
offering FTP service to the world, more people know about the
server than the non-serving systems. It's something obvious that
you aren't thinking about.

Old guy
From: Rick on
Moe Trin wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in
> article<hlrirp$grn$5(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Rick wrote:
>
>> I have 1 ftp server and 3 simple pc's.
>> Only the ftp server gets "port scanned".
>> How do they know to scan that one?
>
> They don't. Are all four systems equally visible from the world?
> Does each one have it's own `world reachable' IP address? Are they
> all in the same range of IP addresses, in the same facility? Are
> they all using the same version operating system? Are all of them
> equally active? Are all of them equally `clean'? Work stations
> generally don't offer services to the Internet, but if you are
> offering FTP service to the world, more people know about the
> server than the non-serving systems. It's something obvious that
> you aren't thinking about.
>
> Old guy

There is 1 external, non-static IP ==>modem==>router(DMZ)==>SonicWall==>

linux FTP server, windows xp3, windoes xp3.

The latter all use LAN ip addresses of course.

Since any ftp "user" would have to know the secret handshake I am
wondering how the chinese and the koreans know about the ftp server!

- just curious

From: Rick on
note that
192.168.1.205
is the address of the sonicwall from the router and is not the LAN
address of the ftp server.

From: Moe Trin on
article <hlrvgm$66h$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Rick wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> Rick wrote:

>>> I have 1 ftp server and 3 simple pc's.
>>> Only the ftp server gets "port scanned".
>>> How do they know to scan that one?

>> They don't. Are all four systems equally visible from the world?
>> Does each one have it's own `world reachable' IP address?

>There is 1 external, non-static IP ==>modem==>router(DMZ)==>SonicWall==>
>linux FTP server, windows xp3, windoes xp3.

One external address -> several systems. How is the SonicWall told
to route packets. Send them equally to all systems? Of course not.
Obviously it's not going to send packets for port 20-21/ftp to the
workstations, because that's not where the FTP server is. So look at
the way you've configured the SonicWall.

>The latter all use LAN ip addresses of course.

So it's all the SonicWall that's deciding how to route packets.

>Since any ftp "user" would have to know the secret handshake I am
>wondering how the chinese and the koreans know about the ftp server!

Unlikely that they do - they're scanning the entire external IP
range - perhaps as widely as 1.0.0.1 to 222.255.255.254 looking to
see "what is there". Linux server - do you have nmap installed?
The man page is extensive, and there's probably a lot more
documentation in /usr/share/nmap*/. They scan your address - let's
say it's 192.0.2.11 on the external side, and your SonicWall forwards
those packets to....

>- just curious

Do you intend to offer FTP service to every IP address in the world, or
are you only intending to offer to North America, Pennsylvania, or
New York City? IP addresses are not allocated/assigned in a simple
manner arranged for convenient filtering. For example, the IPv4 address
range 130.0.0.0 - 130.255.255.255 is allocated/assigned to 228 networks
in ten countries from New Zealand and Japan through Europe (Denmark and
France) to North America (Canada and USA). See
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space for regional clues.
As of the 15th, there were 3007 million IPv4 addresses in 228 countries
in 100341 IP blocks.

Old guy