From: Erik Widding on
gnathita wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I ported linux 2.4_devel to the ml403 board.
>
> Feel free to ask me about what I did if you need help.
> Paula

We are about to undertake this effort as well. I would greatly
appreciate it you could do a quick write up for this thread regarding
your process. Specificlly detailing which document(s) and/or
instructions you followed to do the port, URLs for where these can be
found, and most importantly where you departed from the starting
points, and/or stumbled.

We talked to Timesys and MonteVista both about this. The former sounds
promising, and if they had an existing port for ML403 as a starting
point we would probably just pay for their subscription service. The
later did not offer a business model that was compatible with our
needs. The business model can make sense for a lot of customers. We
are both an ODM and a Design for Hire shop, and the model would work
for some but not all of our customers/engagements. I do not intend to
comment further on this. Please talk to MonteVista directly if you
want to understand the business model, as I do not want to risk
misadvising.

We are also considering doing this without using an outside service, so
your comments will be of value to me in our decision making process.

If there are any consultants that have done a Linux 2.4 port to a
Xilinx platform (either V2pro or V4FX, located in the greater Boston
area, please feel free to drop me an email, and we'll chat offline. We
might consider using an outsider to bring some of my guys up to speed,
and help with our port and/or drivers.

We are excited about the possibilities of Linux on V4FX. We are
presently using the ML403 board as the basis for our compute platform,
and intend to use Linux. I, like others, am not interested in
reinventing the wheel.

We are doing the initial development on our projects with ML403 and
custom daughterboards. We will then build the completely custom
systems. The ML403 is a very well thought out platform. Previously,
we would build custom hardware before even starting the application
development.

For the past four years our compute platform was based on V2/microBlaze
and/or V2pro/PPC with homebrewed DOS file system, and no OS. But now
that we need to incorporate TCP communications and much more
complicated applications support, an OS (specifically Linux) is the
direction we are headed.

Regards,
Erik.

---
Erik Widding
President
Birger Engineering, Inc.

(mail) 100 Boylston St #1070; Boston, MA 02116
(voice) 617.695.9233 x207
(fax) 617.695.9234
(web) http://www.birger.com

From: ramesh on
Hi ,
Do you have any kind of documentation or any URL where i can find how
to port linux on ML403?

Ramesh

From: Peter Ryser on
On the ML403 you could start with the .config file in the reference
design at
http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml403/files/ml403_emb_ref_ppc_71.zip
..

- Peter

From: Peter Ryser on
For example the Users Guide for ML403, pg37:
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/userguides/ug082.pdf

- Peter

ramesh wrote:

> Hi ,
> Do you have any kind of documentation or any URL where i can find how
> to port linux on ML403?
>
> Ramesh
> gnathita wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I ported linux 2.4_devel to the ml403 board.
>>
>>The zImage. that you get is fine for loading into the Virtex4 ppc. The
>>only thing you need to do is "cp" it to another directory with the .elf
>>extension.
>>
>>I integrated it with my download.bit into an .ace file and it works ok
>>both for the reference design and for my custom design (a basic one).
>>
>>Feel free to ask me about what I did if you need help.
>>Paula

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: FPGA Journal Article