From: Wietse Venema on
Vasya Pupkin:
> > In particular, if a bounce is caused by a downstream MTA rejecting
> > an email because it's too large, then that's an unavoidable bounce.
> > But it's also unlikely to be backscatter
>
> In my case it was one of the most reasons why my server acted as a
> backscatterer.

You have spammers sending megabyte emails? That is unusual.

Wietse

From: Charles Marcus on
On 2010-07-22 10:45 AM, Randy Ramsdell <rramsdell(a)activedg.com> wrote:
> I am dealing with the same thing. I have to forward to non-local
> mail servers and I try to mimic some of those settings but we still
> get a few that pass local mail to external mail which is then
> rejected.

To state the obvious - have you tried to get the downstream servers for
your domains to change their config for your domains to accept+tag
detected spam rather than reject?

That's the only sure way that I can think of...

From: Charles Marcus on
Vasya Pupkin wrote:
> I'm my own only customer. And I understand risks of disabling bounce
> feature. I understand that someone will not get a notification if his
> email will not be delivered to me, but I can live with it.

It is still solving the wrong problem, and possibly (probably?) someday
you will want this feature back...

Anyway, if your server is the *only* one that *originates* mail from
your domains, then you could implement BATV or some other sig based
mechanism, and reject NDRs for messages that didn't originate from your
system...

From: Walter Pinto on
Couldn't you restrict the large bounces by setting bounce_size_limit = x ?

smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_multi_recipient_bounce is a good idea too

From: Noel Jones on
On 7/23/2010 12:59 PM, Walter Pinto wrote:
> Couldn't you restrict the large bounces by setting bounce_size_limit = x ?

This limits the amount of data returned with the bounce; it
doesn't eliminate the bounce.

> smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_multi_recipient_bounce is a good idea too

This rejects incoming NDRs, and won't affect the bounces
postfix sends (except for relaying bounces elsewhere). This
restriction rejects very little mail, and a surprising amount
of what it rejects seems to be legit. This is a
special-purpose command that's not generally useful for most
people, and very unlikely to help the OP's problem.

-- Noel Jones