From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 03:45:34AM +0200, Mij wrote:

> Postfix appears to be breaking RFC 5321 by speculatively injecting
> the entire envelope session passing over replies from the server.

Folks, today is not April 1st, that was 21 days ago. Please, no more
"Postfix is fundamentally broken, and nobody noticed for 10 years" posts.

If you think you've found a major flaw in long-standing Postfix behaviour,
you're wrong. You can save yourself and the list a lot of time by not
going there...

Also, at this point, with Postfix driving such a large share of the
Internet email infrastructure, even if Postfix were hypothetically
"wrong" wrt. to some RFC, the practical implication would be that the
rest of the world (including new Postfix releases) has to suck-it-up and
interoperate. Just like Postfix carries, from its early days, work-arounds
for various widely deployed broken systems, any hypothetical widely
deployed issue in Postfix would simply have to be tolerated as a fact
of life.

Fortunately, Postfix does not mis-implement the key standards, and the
issue is moot.

--
Viktor.

Pages: 1