From: Ersek, Laszlo on
Hi,

I'm reposting this from austin-group-l [2] because I don't seem to get
any usable answers there. This group has more subscribers, so I'll try
my luck here.

Thanks,
lacos

[2] https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_mail.tpl?CALLER=index.tpl&source=L&listname=austin-group-l&id=13498

Dear List,

wrt. the discussion started under [0], I respectfully ask for help
interpreting the following statement from the pthread_cond_broadcast()
specification [1]:

----v----
if predictable scheduling behavior is required, then that mutex shall be
locked by the thread calling pthread_cond_broadcast() or
pthread_cond_signal()
----^----

What does "predictable scheduling behavior" mean? What scheduling
characteristics may not hold if the mutex is not locked at the time of
signalling or broadcasting the condition variable?

Thank you very much,
Laszlo Ersek

[0] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/browse_thread/thread/c045203eae78d6ff/2e6b78fd2d43ce68#2e6b78fd2d43ce68
[1] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/pthread_cond_broadcast.html
From: Eric Sosman on
On 3/9/2010 7:46 AM, Ersek, Laszlo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm reposting this from austin-group-l [2] because I don't seem to get
> any usable answers there. This group has more subscribers, so I'll try
> my luck here.

If all you care about is "more subscribers," try one of the
pictures-of-ladies-wearing-the-Emperor's-clothes groups. ;-)

But if you're interested in the whys and wherefores of threads
and such, comp.programming.threads is the place to ask. Follow-ups
set.

--
Eric Sosman
esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid
From: Ersek, Laszlo on
In article <hn5ird$d2m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Eric Sosman <esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid> writes:
> On 3/9/2010 7:46 AM, Ersek, Laszlo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm reposting this from austin-group-l [2] because I don't seem to get
>> any usable answers there. This group has more subscribers, so I'll try
>> my luck here.
>
> If all you care about is "more subscribers," try one of the
> pictures-of-ladies-wearing-the-Emperor's-clothes groups. ;-)

I rather refrain from continuing this metaphor with "exclusive access"
and "scheduling" and stuff :)

> But if you're interested in the whys and wherefores of threads
> and such, comp.programming.threads is the place to ask. Follow-ups
> set.

Thank you, but as linked-to in my question posted to austin-group-l and
reposted to comp.unix.programmer, the topic arised on
comp.programming.threads to begin with :) (Yes, I should have spelled
that out explicitly, sorry.) I then went to austin-group-l, supposing
some subscribers there actually wrote that sentence, then to the most
general, still relevant group, c.u.p. (it's about the SUS, in the end).

Cheers,
lacos