From: John H Terpstra on
On 06/28/2010 09:55 AM, Chris Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a preferred file system (ext4, xfs, reiserfs, etc.) for
> hosting Samba shares used by Windows clients? What do the devs use?
>
> Chris

Chris,

What is the intended use-case for the file system?

- How large will the file system/s be?
- How deep will directories be?
- How many files per directory?
- What will be the size distribution of files across the file system?
- How many concurrent users will access the file system?
- Is it essential to have case preservation?
- What file system I/O performance is required/desired?

The answer to your question is: Yes, the file system that will best meet
your use-case requirements.

cheers,
John T.
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM, John H Terpstra <jht(a)samba.org> wrote:
> What is the intended use-case for the file system?

General use, mostly MSOffice docs, accounting data, photos, etc.

> - How large will the file system/s be?

Less than a terabyte.

> - How deep will directories be?

10 or less.

> - How many files per directory?

Less than 5000.

> - What will be the size distribution of files across the file system?

For the majority, typical business doc sizes, maybe some larger photos
and possible videos.

> - How many concurrent users will access the file system?

Less than 100.

> - Is it essential to have case preservation?

Ideally should act like a Windows server.

> - What file system I/O performance is required/desired?

Hmmm...is "snappy" close enough :)

I'm sure there are many that fit these small business needs and I have
used reiserfs, xfs, ext3, and ext4 with no issues but was wondering if
there was a preference among the "Sambanista" .

Thanks,

Chris
Chris Smith wrote:
>Is there a preferred file system (ext4, xfs, reiserfs, etc.) for
>hosting Samba shares used by Windows clients? What do the devs use?

I don't know about Samba preferences, but in the current Fedora/RedHat world, reiserfs does not appear to be a preferred filesystem: there's a thread on the Anaconda list at the moment discussing removing the reiserfs code from the installer.

Moray.
"To err is human. To purr, feline"

Moray Henderson (ICT) put forth on 6/29/2010 3:54 AM:
> Chris Smith wrote:
>> Is there a preferred file system (ext4, xfs, reiserfs, etc.) for
>> hosting Samba shares used by Windows clients? What do the devs use?
>
> I don't know about Samba preferences, but in the current Fedora/RedHat world, reiserfs does not appear to be a preferred filesystem: there's a thread on the Anaconda list at the moment discussing removing the reiserfs code from the installer.

Given the myriad of negative issues surrounding Hans Reiser, ReiserFS and
successors, it's not surprising that vendors, devs, and end users have been
fleeing in droves to other filesystems.

I personally use XFS on Debian Stable but with far more current self rolled
kernels using kernel.org source. XFS sees constant consistent development,
its dev community being very active. Patches seem to be submitted almost
daily. It includes a sizable set of management tools including an online
filesystem defragger. I've been very pleased with it.

There aren't a lot of filesystem benchmark results published for any of the
Linux filesystems, but of those I've read, XFS proves to have the best mix of
all around performance.

I suggest you post your question to xfs(a)oss.sgi.com. You can post without
being a subscriber, but if you do, make that clear so people reply to you as
well as the list.

--
Stan