From: Kevin H on
Very strange issue.

I am using a freeware program (mailto.exe V. 1.6) on a Windows 2003
server to send mail through a Solaris server running sendmail. We
migrated our Windows production environment to a new server recently
and are having issues sending through the Solaris relay with certain
addresses, both internal and external. I can still send mail through
the relay from the old Windows server and my laptop using mailto.exe
just fine.

user1(a)internal.com, user2(a)internal.com, user3(a)internal.com,
user4(a)external.com, user5(a)external.com and user6(a)external.com all work
from the old server.

User2(a)internal and user6(a)external do not work from the new server.
The relay server has not changed.

When sending to one of the addresses with issues the log on the unix
side shows:
5700 Jan 21 15:18:40 ddcwxtppg01 sendmail[7172]: [ID 801593
mail.warning] o0LMIexr007172: collect: premature EOM: Connection
reset by ddcw3293
5701 Jan 21 15:18:40 ddcwxtppg01 sendmail[7172]: [ID 801593
mail.crit] o0LMIexr007172: SYSERR(root): collect: I/O error on
connection from ddcw3293, from=<user(a)internal.com>

The firewall shows the SMTP connection receives a TCP-RST.

If I place multiple addressess in the mailto.exe command
(user1(a)internal.com,user2(a)internal.com) both receive the email;
including user2 who CANNOT if only that address is specified in the
command line. The same is true for the external users.

The sendmail on the unix box is set to forward mail through the
corporate exchange environment.
I can telnet to port 25 on the SMTP relay and send email to user2 just
fine. I can use a config file with mailto.exe and send successfully to
user2(a)internal.com just fine as well. I need to be able to pass user2
as a single recipient using mailto.exe.

Successful mail
C:\>mailto -DEBUG -H 10.7.22.2 -U user(a)internal.com -R
user(a)internal.com -S "TEST from ddcw3293" -M "Please reply to this
test message ASAP." -D user1(a)internal.com
SMTP HOST
<10.7.22.2>
MSG BODY
<Please reply to this test message ASAP.>
SUBJECT
<TEST from ddcw3293>
FROM
<user(a)internal.com>
<user1(a)internal.com>
CC
<>
BCC
<>
REPLY TO
<user(a)internal.com>
COMMENT
<Message sent from machine DDCW3293>
BIN FILES TO SEND
<>
TXT FILES TO SEND
<>
Mail sent.

C:\>

Unsuccessful mail
C:\>mailto -DEBUG -H 10.7.22.2 -U user(a)internal.com -R
user(a)internal.com -S "TEST from ddcw3293" -M "Please reply to this
test message ASAP." -D user2(a)internal.com
SMTP HOST
<10.7.22.2>
MSG BODY
<Please reply to this test message ASAP.>
SUBJECT
<TEST from ddcw3293>
FROM
<user(a)internal.com>
<user2(a)internal.com>
CC
<>
BCC
<>
REPLY TO
<user(a)internal.com>
COMMENT
<Message sent from machine DDCW3293>
BIN FILES TO SEND
<>
TXT FILES TO SEND
<>

C:\>

Only our new Windows server is having the issue. It is only a few
addresses that we cannot send to when they are the only recipient on
the mailto.exe command line. It does not matter if there attachments,
Subject or bady. ALL mail sent to user2(a)internal.com using mailto.exe
without a config file will FAIL.

Any ideas?

Pages: 1