From: David Mark on
Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> On May 23, 8:34 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Packer is a complete waste of time.
>>

> you never waste an opportunity to be arrogant, don't ya?

I was asked what I thought of that tool and answered. You never waste
an opportunity to drop in and change the subject to me, do you? JFTR, I
am not an appropriate topic here.

> Dean' packer has been revolutionary by its time and it is still widely
> adopted, improved, maintained, regardless what *you* think.

A complete waste of time. Harmful even. I do all I can to try to steer
people away from using it. What's it to you?

> A bit more respect for those devs that have been always there teaching
> and explaining us with valid software and/or experiments would be
> probably more appropriate for this group, isn't it?

Always there? Valid software? What are you babbling about now?
From: David Mark on
Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> ... and btw, for the record,

You still don't understand newsgroups, do you?

> this press.js is a nice experiment as
> well.

Nice in what way?

> The "decompressor" uses lot of unnecessary spaces and notation
> but even if improved other guys already explained the side effect.

Why don't you quote what you are replying to? It would make things so
much easier. :)

> The fact hosts do not allow gzip means nothing to me,

Odd. It means that some hosts do not allow GZIP.

> you can gzip and
> deflate on build time then serve already gzipped/deflated files using
> proper headers so the host won't be anything different from serving
> just a file, and it won't be overloaded because of runtime
> compression.

That really depends on the host environment, doesn't it? You can't
serve such files without content negotiation. You would have to have
two of each resource as well. Sounds like a nightmare, assuming the
host environment allows for it at all. I promise you can't do that with
static files on my host.

> If you want an example, here one of my projects that does exactly what
> I have described:
> http://code.google.com/p/php-client-booster/

I'll pass. But thanks anyway!
From: Andrea Giammarchi on
As usual, you don't read/know what you are talking about but you
pretend to understand ...

On May 24, 4:26 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> You still don't understand newsgroups, do you?

true since I can't find a way to ignore your comments, totally
pointless, arrogant, and useless since AFAIK you don't provide any
help ever

> Nice in what way?

in the way that ... as experiment, is a nice one. I have created GIF
compressor for JS and tried LZMA (7-Zip) as well. These are nice
experiments if you are interested in compression algos.
For the meaning of "nice" itself I suggest Dictionary Online or
something similar

> Odd.  It means that some hosts do not allow GZIP.

... oh, really? ... indeed I have explained why later ...

> That really depends on the host environment, doesn't it?

no, it doesn't, it is the UA that sends headers, you can send back
binary data (e.g. files) ? You can send pre compressed files as well
as long as the header function/way to set it works (which host
doesn't? a list please)

> You would have to have two of each resource as well.  Sounds like a nightmare

it's called automation, it's used in every IT development process. You
don't have to do anything, the automation (build process) does it for
you. You'll never serve two files, simply the best one per request and
only if necesary (Etag in da house) automatically, but why am I
wasting time again with somebody that ...

> I'll pass.  But thanks anyway!

how do you learn things? Uh wait ... you don't have to, do ya? I think
you do big time but never mind, I am off again since all I had to say
is there, now have fun with the rest of your usual flame ;-)

Best Regards,
Andrea Giammarchi
From: David Mark on
Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> As usual, you don't read/know what you are talking about but you
> pretend to understand ...

With regard to what? Hint: quote.

> On May 24, 4:26 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> You still don't understand newsgroups, do you?
>>

> true since I can't find a way to ignore your comments, totally
> pointless, arrogant, and useless since AFAIK you don't provide any
> help ever

LOL. You don't read this group at all then?

>> Nice in what way?
>>
> in the way that ... as experiment, is a nice one. I have created GIF
> compressor for JS and tried LZMA (7-Zip) as well. These are nice
> experiments if you are interested in compression algos.

Great.

> For the meaning of "nice" itself I suggest Dictionary Online or
> something similar

I didn't ask what the word meant. Talk about pointless comments.

>> Odd. It means that some hosts do not allow GZIP.
>>

> ... oh, really? ... indeed I have explained why later ...

Why what?

>> That really depends on the host environment, doesn't it?
>>

> no, it doesn't, it is the UA that sends headers, you can send back
> binary data (e.g. files) ? You can send pre compressed files as well
> as long as the header function/way to set it works (which host
> doesn't? a list please)

You can't just plop GZIP files on the server. You have to do content
negotiation and would need two copies of each static file (one
compressed, one not). I know how to do it, I just choose not too. I
suspect I will switch hosts soon anyway now that traffic is getting heavy.

>> You would have to have two of each resource as well. Sounds like a nightmare
>>

> it's called automation, it's used in every IT development process.

Gee, I never thought of that. :)

> You
> don't have to do anything, the automation (build process) does it for
> you.

You are a wizard!

> You'll never serve two files, simply the best one per request and
> only if necesary (Etag in da house) automatically, but why am I
> wasting time again with somebody that ...

I never said anything about serving two files. What would that even
mean? And I don't know why you waste so much time.

>> I'll pass. But thanks anyway!
>>

> how do you learn things? Uh wait ... you don't have to, do ya?
> I think
> you do big time but never mind, I am off again since all I had to say
> is there, now have fun with the rest of your usual flame ;-)

My usual flame?
From: Johannes Baagoe on
David Mark :

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html