From: Archimedes Plutonium on
Strip geometry is not all that new. It comes out of the Calculus where
one often sees
the Calculus as a "picket-fence operation". The idea in strip-building-
geometry is to build or
construct the object in question like a sphere or pseudosphere. Where
you have strips
of paper or cardboard or metal and to glue or rivet the strips
together. There is overlap,
so we are not concerned with overlap but we do not want too much
overlap, but we avoid gaps. It is obvious
why the pseudosphere requires less strips than the sphere in that the
pseudosphere is
more of a funnel shaped object which narrows very quickly, while the
sphere never narrows. And we can cut strips, so to make a funnel
requires far fewer strips than
to make a sphere that is the same diameter as funnel.

Strip geometry is seen in practice every day with sheet metal roofing
of the corrugated
metal, only we narrow the width of each sheet.

Until now the science of building geometrical objects out of strips
has not been offered or advanced and is a extension of the Calculus.
The Calculus was not a science of building geometrical objects as it
was a science of measuring area, volume, rate of change.

Strip-geometry-building is concerned with taking thin narrow strips of
a given number and building
a geometrical objects of desire where no gaps are there, and where you
can have overlap,
but not too much overlap, for consider the strips as expensive and
costly. And you can build other objects with the strips and compare
the two objects built. You can cut the
strips, so that if given 536 strips from 10^536 which builds a sphere,
then with 268 strips
from 268! we can build a pseudosphere that has the same diameter as
the sphere. Some of those 268 strips were cut in half-lengthwise so as
to build the wide open part of the funnel shape of the pseudosphere.

Now strip-geometry is what was used to derive the speed of light out
of pure math, where
we consider a light-wave travelling around Earth on its meridians, all
of its meridians of width
1 kilometer wide. And this speed of light derivation is the prime
example to consider in strip
geometry building.

Now physics-wise, strip-geometry-building makes alot of sense for
physics overall, for we need a medium for light to be measured such as
radio waves of large wavelength. So in physics, light waves are not
really considered to be lines without width.

And perhaps the greatest reason strip-building-geometry never got
started earlier in history is
because of idealism, zealotic idealism that a line has no width, and
so you need infinity of lines to build anything.

Now I can cite one example of strip building as my Airstream trailers
are strips of aluminum
riveted together. And airplanes are strips of metal riveted together
as 3D objects. Now my
Airstream is not uniform long strips but rather more like rectangular
pieces. But I cite this only
as an example.

Another example is that of rulers as strips, or tape-measures as
strips and that if we take
tape-measures made out of thin metal and glued them together we can
build a sphere or
pseudosphere without gaps and with some overlap of strips. But the
main idea is that
it requires far less strips to build the pseudosphere of equal
diameter to a sphere building.
And the proportion of pseudosphere building to sphere building is 268
versus 536 strips.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/