From: Ramon on
Hi,

I need advise with the following situation: We have a main office and 2
branch offices. Everybody works via RDP on terminalservers in the main
office.

So in the main office we have 2 terminalservers (loadbalancing) and our
printserver on which all networkprinters are installed and configured.
In one branch office they sometimes have to print huge documents. Because
the connection bandwidth is small people often complain about poor
performance and long waiting times before prints are coming out of the
printer. I know this is normal behaviour. I also know there are 3th party
solutions to help me on this.
Now a consultancy company (which gives advise on certain things) said that
the solution is very easy. Place a printserver in the branch office, install
the branch office network printers on this server and the problem should be
solved. (ts servers stay offcourse in the main office).

Can anyone tell me if this could work, is it a good solution or a very bad
solution? And why? I need this info for my management.

Thx.

Ramon

From: Bob Campbell on
Hi Ramon,

I think the consultant is correct for Windows Server 2003.
But the branch printserver is not necessary for WS 2008 terminal services.

Bob

From: AJ on
I don't know how putting the printerserver in the branch office will help.
The print job still has to go over the WAN.

I'd like to know if someone has actually used this solution and got the
desired result.