From: Martin Zielinski on
Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com schrieb:

> I'm testing a printserver with Samab/ Cups.
>
> Every time I want to upload the driver to samba for printing I get the following error:
>
> "Printer settings could not be saves. Access denied"
>
> I chmod 777 the driver directory and spool directory.
> I gave specified the user as printer admin in the share.
> My firewall is disabled.
>
> Why is it still giving me the access denied error?

Possible reasons:
1) The driver wants to do some initialization which fails. So: which driver?
2) Your might be using and old and buggy samba version.
3) You have no "W32X86" directory in your driver directory
4) You "printer admin" authentication fails for some reason

The first thing I'll allways suggest is to call
"Start->Run" from your windows menu and enter
"\\your samba server\print$".
Change into the W32X86 directory and try to create a file or folder.
If this fails, you have an authentication or unix rights issue.
Otherwise you'll have to go further with more details.

Regards,

Martin

--
Martin Zielinski mz(a)seh.de
Software Development

Hi Martin,

1) driver is a HP laserjet 1300n with a jet directcard
2) samba version = 3.0.20.4
3) I have a W32X86 directory in my driver directory and can add new folders to it
4) sorry...cannot check this.

smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = LITEONIT.COM
netbios name = NLHOL1F1
security = domain
winbind use default domain = Yes
password server = 192.168.0.1
hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
os level = 50
encrypt passwords = Yes
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
wins support = Yes
winbind separator = +
winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes
logfile = /var/log/samba/log.%m
printing = cups
use client driver = yes
load printers = yes
printcap name = /etc/printcap
printer admin = root LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
max print jobs = 100
lpq cache time = 20
show add printer wizard = yes
print command = lpr -r -P %p %s

[printers]
comment = all printers
printable = yes
admin users = @domainadmins LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = yes
printer admin = LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
show add printer wizard = yes

[print$]
comment = printer download section
path = /etc/samba/drivers
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
write list = @domainadmins
read only = no

[lj1300n]
comment = HP Laserjet 1300n
path = /var/spool/samba/lj1300n
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
printer admin = LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
use client driver = yes

Best Regards,
Roland de Lepper
------------------------------

Martin Zielinski
<mz(a)seh.de> To: Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com
cc: samba(a)lists.samba.org
09/03/2007 14:11 Subject: Re: [Samba] printing problem

Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com schrieb:

> I'm testing a printserver with Samab/ Cups.
>
> Every time I want to upload the driver to samba for printing I get the following error:
>
> "Printer settings could not be saves. Access denied"
>
> I chmod 777 the driver directory and spool directory.
> I gave specified the user as printer admin in the share.
> My firewall is disabled.
>
> Why is it still giving me the access denied error?

Possible reasons:
1) The driver wants to do some initialization which fails. So: which driver?
2) Your might be using and old and buggy samba version.
3) You have no "W32X86" directory in your driver directory
4) You "printer admin" authentication fails for some reason

The first thing I'll allways suggest is to call
"Start->Run" from your windows menu and enter
"\\your samba server\print$".
Change into the W32X86 directory and try to create a file or folder.
If this fails, you have an authentication or unix rights issue.
Otherwise you'll have to go further with more details.

Regards,

Martin

--
Martin Zielinski mz(a)seh.de
Software Development
SEH Computertechnik GmbH www.seh.de

Hi,

I put comments inline.

Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com schrieb:

> Hi Martin,
>
> 1) driver is a HP laserjet 1300n with a jet directcard
> 2) samba version = 3.0.20.4
> 3) I have a W32X86 directory in my driver directory and can add new folders to it
> 4) sorry...cannot check this.
>
> smb.conf
>
> [global]
> workgroup = LITEONIT.COM
> netbios name = NLHOL1F1
> security = domain
> winbind use default domain = Yes
> password server = 192.168.0.1
> hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
> os level = 50
> encrypt passwords = Yes
> idmap uid = 15000-20000
> idmap gid = 15000-20000
> wins support = Yes
> winbind separator = +
> winbind enum users = Yes
> winbind enum groups = Yes
> logfile = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> printing = cups
> use client driver = yes
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's exactly what you *don't* want to do.
Please remove this line and try again.

> load printers = yes
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> printer admin = root LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> max print jobs = 100
> lpq cache time = 20
> show add printer wizard = yes
> print command = lpr -r -P %p %s
[...]
> [printers]
> comment = all printers
> printable = yes
> admin users = @domainadmins LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> path = /var/spool/samba
> guest ok = yes
> printer admin = LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a global parameter.

> show add printer wizard = yes
>
> [print$]
> comment = printer download section
> path = /etc/samba/drivers
> browseable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> write list = @domainadmins
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm really not shure about this, but you might add
LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper here, allthough
> read only = no
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
might make the "write list" obsolete.

> [lj1300n]
> comment = HP Laserjet 1300n
> path = /var/spool/samba/lj1300n
> printable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> writable = yes
> printer admin = LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> use client driver = yes
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please remove. BTW it's a global parameter, too.

> Best Regards,
> Roland de Lepper
> ------------------------------

[...]
Hope that helps.

Regards,

Martin

--
Martin Zielinski mz(a)seh.de
Software Development
SEH Computertechnik GmbH www.seh.de

Hi Martin,

thanks...this worked.

But...the next problem arise.

The driver is uploaded to the server now. This is good.
I connected to the prinbter via start-settings-printers and added the printer as available printer
from my printserver.
This all went ok, but when I want to print, the print doesn't come out en I see the following error
message in my logs:

" ERROR: string overflow by 1 (256 - 255) in safe_strcpy (NT_STATUS_DISK_FULL opening remote spool
smbprn_00)"

I'm admin on the windows box (domain admin)

Best Regards,
Roland de Lepper
------------------------------

Martin Zielinski
<mz(a)seh.de> To: Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com
cc: samba(a)lists.samba.org
09/03/2007 14:52 Subject: Re: [Samba] printing problem

Hi,

I put comments inline.

Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com schrieb:

> Hi Martin,
>
> 1) driver is a HP laserjet 1300n with a jet directcard
> 2) samba version = 3.0.20.4
> 3) I have a W32X86 directory in my driver directory and can add new folders to it
> 4) sorry...cannot check this.
>
> smb.conf
>
> [global]
> workgroup = LITEONIT.COM
> netbios name = NLHOL1F1
> security = domain
> winbind use default domain = Yes
> password server = 192.168.0.1
> hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
> os level = 50
> encrypt passwords = Yes
> idmap uid = 15000-20000
> idmap gid = 15000-20000
> wins support = Yes
> winbind separator = +
> winbind enum users = Yes
> winbind enum groups = Yes
> logfile = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> printing = cups
> use client driver = yes
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's exactly what you *don't* want to do.
Please remove this line and try again.

> load printers = yes
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> printer admin = root LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> max print jobs = 100
> lpq cache time = 20
> show add printer wizard = yes
> print command = lpr -r -P %p %s
[...]
> [printers]
> comment = all printers
> printable = yes
> admin users = @domainadmins LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> path = /var/spool/samba
> guest ok = yes
> printer admin = LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a global parameter.

> show add printer wizard = yes
>
> [print$]
> comment = printer download section
> path = /etc/samba/drivers
> browseable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> write list = @domainadmins
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm really not shure about this, but you might add
LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper here, allthough
> read only = no
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
might make the "write list" obsolete.

> [lj1300n]
> comment = HP Laserjet 1300n
> path = /var/spool/samba/lj1300n
> printable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> writable = yes
> printer admin = LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> use client driver = yes
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please remove. BTW it's a global parameter, too.

> Best Regards,
> Roland de Lepper
> ------------------------------

[...]
Hope that helps.

Regards,

Martin

--
Martin Zielinski mz(a)seh.de
Software Development
SEH Computertechnik GmbH www.seh.de

Hi Martin, Denis,

Finally it all works.

Print came not out because i configured cups wrong.

Thanks for your help

Best Regards,
Roland de Lepper
------------------------------

Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com
Sent by: To: Martin Zielinski <mz(a)seh.de>
samba-bounces+roland_lepper=liteonit.com(a)list cc: samba(a)lists.samba.org
s.samba.org Subject: Re: [Samba] printing problem

09/03/2007 15:35

Hi Martin,

thanks...this worked.

But...the next problem arise.

The driver is uploaded to the server now. This is good.
I connected to the prinbter via start-settings-printers and added the printer as available printer
from my printserver.
This all went ok, but when I want to print, the print doesn't come out en I see the following error
message in my logs:

" ERROR: string overflow by 1 (256 - 255) in safe_strcpy (NT_STATUS_DISK_FULL opening remote spool
smbprn_00)"

I'm admin on the windows box (domain admin)

Best Regards,
Roland de Lepper
------------------------------

Martin Zielinski

<mz(a)seh.de> To: Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com

cc: samba(a)lists.samba.org

09/03/2007 14:52 Subject: Re: [Samba] printing problem

Hi,

I put comments inline.

Roland_Lepper(a)Liteonit.com schrieb:

> Hi Martin,
>
> 1) driver is a HP laserjet 1300n with a jet directcard
> 2) samba version = 3.0.20.4
> 3) I have a W32X86 directory in my driver directory and can add new folders to it
> 4) sorry...cannot check this.
>
> smb.conf
>
> [global]
> workgroup = LITEONIT.COM
> netbios name = NLHOL1F1
> security = domain
> winbind use default domain = Yes
> password server = 192.168.0.1
> hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
> os level = 50
> encrypt passwords = Yes
> idmap uid = 15000-20000
> idmap gid = 15000-20000
> wins support = Yes
> winbind separator = +
> winbind enum users = Yes
> winbind enum groups = Yes
> logfile = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> printing = cups
> use client driver = yes
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's exactly what you *don't* want to do.
Please remove this line and try again.

> load printers = yes
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> printer admin = root LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> max print jobs = 100
> lpq cache time = 20
> show add printer wizard = yes
> print command = lpr -r -P %p %s
[...]
> [printers]
> comment = all printers
> printable = yes
> admin users = @domainadmins LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> path = /var/spool/samba
> guest ok = yes
> printer admin = LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a global parameter.

> show add printer wizard = yes
>
> [print$]
> comment = printer download section
> path = /etc/samba/drivers
> browseable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> write list = @domainadmins
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm really not shure about this, but you might add
LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper here, allthough
> read only = no
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
might make the "write list" obsolete.

> [lj1300n]
> comment = HP Laserjet 1300n
> path = /var/spool/samba/lj1300n
> printable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> writable = yes
> printer admin = LITEONIT.COM+Roland_deLepper
> use client driver = yes
Please remove. BTW it's a global parameter, too.

> Best Regards,
> Roland de Lepper

[...]
Hope that helps.