From: David L Cassell on
kunalpkelkar(a)AIM.COM wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am facing some problem while connecting to oracle database using SAS.
>Please help me as I am unable to find out what is the exact problem.
>
>I have pasted the SAS log below:
>

>247 proc sql;
>248 Connect To ORACLE(dsn=abc User=kunalkelkar Password=XXXXXXX );
>ERROR: The ORACLE engine cannot be found.
>ERROR: A Connection to the ORACLE DBMS is not currently supported, or is
>not installed at your
>site.
>249 create table abc as select * from connection to Oracle
>250 (select
>251 * from
>252 dailyperf where cal_dt='09AUG2006'd );
>ERROR: The ORACLE engine cannot be found.
>ERROR: A Connection to the Oracle DBMS is not currently supported, or is
>not installed at your
>site.
>253 disconnect from oracle;
>ERROR: Connection to the oracle DBMS does not exist.
>254 quit;
>NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
>NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):
>real time 0.00 seconds
>cpu time
>
>Thanks ,
>Kunal

First, thanks for including the log information. That's really useful,
and far too many people forget to do that.

It looks to me as if you do not have the SAS/ACCESS to Oracle installed.
Your code (as is) will not work without that.

Perhaps the problem is local, and your company has the SAS/ACCESS to
Oracle but it is not installed on the machine you used. Or perhaps it is
not available at your site. Period.

If you do not have SA/ACCESS to Oracle and you cannot get it, you
may want to look at alternative ways of connecting to your databases.
ODBC and OleDB are options, as are external languages used as 'glue'
to link things together.

HTH,
David
--
David L. Cassell
mathematical statistician

Get the new Windows Live Messenger!
From: Paul Phan on
I experienced similar trouble before and this is what I found. You need
access to Oracle licensed in order to use the Oracle engine (Check proc
setinit; run;), or using proc sql Pass-Through Facility which enables you to
pass Oracle SQL statements to an Oracle database via the Oracle ODBC driver.
As long as SAS/ACC-ODBC is licensed at the site, you can access the Oracle
database using this product, but need to have an Oracle ODBC data source set
up in your comp [Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources
(ODBC)] so that it points to the right Oracle database/data warehouse.

and use the following code below after you set it up correctly

proc sql;
connect to odbc(user=xyz password=abc dsn='datawarehouse');
create table TEST as
select * from connection to odbc
( select distinct ID, DATE
from TABLENAME)