From: Singh on
I have win xp sp2.
every time i try to install kb898461 the system says it was unsuccessful or
unable to etc. I don't know how to fix it. please help

option 2 is if someone can help me block that update so it does not bother
me again.

thank you
From: Shenan Stanley on
Singh wrote:
> I have win xp sp2.
> every time i try to install kb898461 the system says it was
> unsuccessful or unable to etc. I don't know how to fix it. please
> help
>
> option 2 is if someone can help me block that update so it does not
> bother me again.

Hide it.

Or - better yet - cleanup and update your update system, install SP3 and all
other updates you may have missed (critical anyway) and know that your
system is secure and patched.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Try getting updates again.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP