From: Robert on
Hello,

I have a problem that is driving me nuts. I have two seperate networks.
One is a corporate LAN and the other is a cable modem. Both networks were
connected to my pc by a dual wan router. This router failed and I have no
way of knowing how to restore it. I tried to multihome the pc and set up
both networks.

I have a vb6 application that uses CDO to send out mail daily with
attachments. After I multihomed the pc, I cannot get the mail to leave the
smtp queue on the pc (I am running the windows xp IIS 5.1 and using the
default smtp service).

I turned on the logging for the smtp service. The only entries in there
appeared that the local smtp server was trying to forward the messages
through the corporate mail server. The corporate mail server is obviously
rejecting these messages.

What I want to happen is for the local smtp service to send the messages
directly to my att.net mail server.

I have tried smart hosts and changing every setting imaginable for the
default smtp server. Nothing is working for me. I have even been looking
for other alternatives with vb6 code and its not easy finding anything that
handles attachments.

I have set up the e-mail account using outlook express and it will work
properly. So I don't think I have any routing issues with my att.net server.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
From: Ken Schaefer on
a) Setup a smart host so that the mail is relayed through your ISP's mail
server
b) The rest looks like a routing problem, not an IIS problem. Ensure that
you only have a single default gateway (i.e. one for the network your cable
modem is on). You'll need static routes for the networks connected on your
internal LAN

Cheers
Ken

"Robert" <Robert(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that is driving me nuts. I have two seperate networks.
> One is a corporate LAN and the other is a cable modem. Both networks were
> connected to my pc by a dual wan router. This router failed and I have no
> way of knowing how to restore it. I tried to multihome the pc and set up
> both networks.
>
> I have a vb6 application that uses CDO to send out mail daily with
> attachments. After I multihomed the pc, I cannot get the mail to leave
> the
> smtp queue on the pc (I am running the windows xp IIS 5.1 and using the
> default smtp service).
>
> I turned on the logging for the smtp service. The only entries in there
> appeared that the local smtp server was trying to forward the messages
> through the corporate mail server. The corporate mail server is obviously
> rejecting these messages.
>
> What I want to happen is for the local smtp service to send the messages
> directly to my att.net mail server.
>
> I have tried smart hosts and changing every setting imaginable for the
> default smtp server. Nothing is working for me. I have even been looking
> for other alternatives with vb6 code and its not easy finding anything
> that
> handles attachments.
>
> I have set up the e-mail account using outlook express and it will work
> properly. So I don't think I have any routing issues with my att.net
> server.
>
> Thank you for any help you can provide.

Pages: 1
Prev: can't see all threads