From: Chris Eckert on
hi all,

i have problems installing my hp laserjet
1320nw. under u7 this worked fine!

i use java desktop system in solaris u8
to install like this:

select settings > system settings > add/delete printer

then: new network printer...

fill in the details (which worked under u7)
- printer type hp printer
- file content postscript
- destination 192.168.11.230
- protocol tcp
- access for all

the printer does appear in the solaris print manager

but the printer does *not* appear in any application!

i try to check or change the printer settings in the print manager.

i see that printer type has been *reset* to
default postscript, protocoll to bsd etc.

when i try to correct the details and click ok,
i get the following popup error message:

java.lang.NullPointerException

in other words, i cannot install the printer
due to some obscure error in u8.
pretty annoying as it was easily done in u7.

by the way: i have installed the latest
updates using sun update manager.
makes no difference though...

thanks for your expertise.

chris
From: Chris Eckert on
hi again,

is there truly nobody able to enlighten me on this? cannot believe...

chris

--
CHRIS ECKERT
eckert[at]alphanet.ch - http://www.alphanet.ch/~eckert

From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Chris Eckert wrote:
> hi again,
>
> is there truly nobody able to enlighten me on this? cannot believe...
>
> chris
>
> On 2010-04-28 21:35:17 +0200, Chris Eckert <eckert(a)alphanet.ch> said:
>
>> hi all,
>>
>> i have problems installing my hp laserjet
>> 1320nw. under u7 this worked fine!
>>
>> i use java desktop system in solaris u8
>> to install like this:
>>
>> select settings > system settings > add/delete printer
>>
>> then: new network printer...
>>
>> fill in the details (which worked under u7)
>> - printer type hp printer
>> - file content postscript
>> - destination 192.168.11.230
>> - protocol tcp
>> - access for all
>>
>> the printer does appear in the solaris print manager
>>
>> but the printer does *not* appear in any application!
>>
>> i try to check or change the printer settings in the print manager.
>>
>> i see that printer type has been *reset* to
>> default postscript, protocoll to bsd etc.
>>
>> when i try to correct the details and click ok,
>> i get the following popup error message:
>>
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>>
>> in other words, i cannot install the printer
>> due to some obscure error in u8.
>> pretty annoying as it was easily done in u7.
>>
>> by the way: i have installed the latest
>> updates using sun update manager.
>> makes no difference though...
>>
>> thanks for your expertise.
>>
>> chris

Welcome to the nightmare that is Unix printing! If you can possibly do
so, upgrade to Solaris 10. It configures printers with far greater ease
than earlier releases. When I first installed S10, I was amazed to be
asked to pick my printer manufacturer from a list and then the be asked
to pick the printer model from another list. I picked HP and then
LaserJet 4000 Plus a JetDirect card. Done! My memory is a little hazy
on the details but I was really impressed with the ease and simplicity
of the entire process. I commented at the time that it was a long
overdue enhancement.

I neglected to rub salt in the wounds because an "inferior" O/S had been
doing it for years!

If you are stuck with S8 or S9 you'll have to do it the hard way but
you'll REALLY appreciate the convenience when you finally get to S10.
From: John D Groenveld on
In article <Ueidnawdz6oXnkbWnZ2dnUVZ_vadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>so, upgrade to Solaris 10. It configures printers with far greater ease

The OP is running S10. His problem is that the printer GUI broke
when he upgraded from update 7 to update 8.

I don't use the GUI so won't be much help to him but
the hack is to use the command line tools.

John
groenveld(a)acm.org
From: Chris Eckert on
John D Groenveld <groenvel(a)cse.psu.edu> wrote:

> The OP is running S10. His problem is that the printer GUI broke
> when he upgraded from update 7 to update 8.
>
> I don't use the GUI so won't be much help to him but
> the hack is to use the command line tools.

right, i would definitely prefer to use
the appropriate cli tools, but how is this
achieved?

never installed a unix printer that way.

chris

-- Chris Eckert (mobile)