From: sudhir patil on

I have csv file with special characters, stored in default encoding(ISO-8859-1). I am convert file contents(string) to UTF-8using iconv. This doesn't convert special characters properly, shows broken on fronted. Page encoding & meta tag are properly set to utf-8.

Characters are shown properly on frontend if i save file encoding as utf-8(Using notepad). But iconv doesn't convert characters properly to UTF-8.

$value = iconv("Latin1","utf-8", $value);
having problem with below mentioned character

’ ’ ’ right single quotation mark
Any idea or suggestions to fix this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Sudhir

From: Nathan Rixham on
sudhir patil wrote:
> I have csv file with special characters, stored in default encoding(ISO-8859-1). I am convert file contents(string) to UTF-8using iconv. This doesn't convert special characters properly, shows broken on fronted. Page encoding & meta tag are properly set to utf-8.
>
> Characters are shown properly on frontend if i save file encoding as utf-8(Using notepad). But iconv doesn't convert characters properly to UTF-8.
>
> $value = iconv("Latin1","utf-8", $value);
> having problem with below mentioned character
>
> ' ’ ’ right single quotation mark
> Any idea or suggestions to fix this would be helpful.

1: try utf8_encode instead of iconv
2: check the headers being sent and that they include:
as this normally overwrites and choice you make in html.

a good way of debugging this is to view the page in firefox and see menu
option "View -> Charecter Encoding -> xxxx"; the one presently selected
is generally the pages "real" encoding, and you can flick between
iso-8859-1 / utf-8 to see which one "fixes" your problem (then change
headers accordingly).

regards!
From: sudhir patil on
Thanks Nathan,

i tried with utf8_encode, that doesn't help. Yes both content-type & metatag are set to utf-8.

When i try utf-8 converted csv everything shows up properly. Issue is when i try to change encoding in php, special characters are messed up.

Character that i am facing problem with is

’ ’ ’ right single quotation mark
Thanks,
Sudhir

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in..yahoo.com/
From: Apis SARL on
I found lot of poeple having matters with chars over 1 byte, so I've
published that : http://www.phpcs.com/codes/ENCODAGE-UTF16_51501.aspx

If you take a look, give me a feedback please (to apis(a)apieum.com)

regards,
greg