From: klp via AccessMonster.com on
Not sure if this is where I post this or can be answered here.

Currently we have company software that is programmed by an outside
programmer. We purchased the code to make any addtions or modifications. Each
time there is a new release, I bring it in and make our custom modifications
to it. Until now I have not had any problems. Note: we are using access 2003
& windows 7 and before when I wasn't having any issues I was using XP. Now
when I make modifications to a form for example I get errors in my memo
fields. So I have a form frmItemMaster that has a tab control on it. I go in,
add another tab and embed a form. If I open for the form put in a part number,
go to my newly added tab then to another tab my memo field displays this
#Error and if I click in it a msgbox comes up that says 'invalid argument'.
That is if the field is blank and does not have any data in it. Otherwise if
there is data in the field I can edit it. Not sure why these problems are
arising and it has only started in windows 7. Like I said I'm not sure if I'm
even posting in the right spot, and I'm sorry if I'm not, I just don't know
what else to do. It just almost seems as if there is something, somewhere
that's different in windows 7 causing this error.

thanks in advance
Kim P

From: J_Goddard via AccessMonster.com on
Hi -

All kinds of questions arise here.

Might the contract programmer have made some changes to the forms or code?

Is the embedded form on your new tab properly likned to the main form?

Do any of your form controls have the same name as a table field? That can
cause problems.
Is there any code that is run when you click on the tabs or fields - the fact
that you get an error when you click the control implies that there is. Are
the changes you make under Windows 7 exactly the same as the ones you made
under XP? If not, what are the differences?

Start with these - but can you give us a better idea of what it is you are
doing, e.g. what does your embedded form do?

John

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada

From: klp via AccessMonster.com on
I figured you might have some questions.

I don't think on this particular form that I'm having issues with he made any
changes but I know that there have been changes throughout.

Yes my form is linked to my main form

No none of my form controls have the same name as a table field.

Yes there is code when I click on the tab control. Here is part of it but
this particular part is called when I click on the new tab I added. This is
done for each tab that has an embedded form.

ElseIf Me.ItemTabCtl.Value = 8 Then
Me.frmItemMasterExtras_subform.SourceObject = "frmItemMasterExtras
subform"
If Level = 1 Then
Me.frmItemMasterExtras_subform.Form.AllowDeletions = False
End If

Yes my changes are exactly the same that I did in XP. We have been doing
these changes for almost 4 years now and never have had a problem until we
went to Windows 7. If I put my database on an XP machine, everything seems
to work as it should.

My form is just a data input form. It's on a control tab for the main form
and it's just for data input.

My other problem areas are kind of the same. I have two more forms that have
the control tabs on them and in those tabs they can have embedded forms &
memo fields. It seems to be a relation between the two for some reason. IF I
go in and take out the master/child links, I do not get these errors same
goes if I take the whole embedded form out all together. Another thing is if
there is nothing in the memo field #error appears. It's just strange that all
of a sudden this is going on. Please let me know if you have any other
questions. Thanks!
Kim P
J_Goddard wroten

From: klp via AccessMonster.com on

From: Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com on
I'm guessing that you didn't install Windows 7 on old machines but have
purchased new machines with it on board, and have then installed Access 2003.

When apps run fine on one machine and not on another or run fine in one
version and not when run under a newer version, the first thing you have to
think about are missing references, and I suspect that this is the problem
here.

Here are Doug Steele's detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot the
problem:

http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/AccessReferenceErrors.html

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003