From: Adam Richardson on
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 17:20 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> one
> needed.
> > > >

> > > If Javascript isn't a solution (which I can understand for
> accessibility
> > > reasons) then the only method I've seen that seems to work is to have
> > > the email as an image in the same font style as it would be on the page
> > > if it were just text. Facebook uses this to display contact email
> > > addresses for people, and I've seen it used elsewhere also. The only
> > > other method I've seen is to add in extra characters with a small note
> > > to humans to remove them, but I find this quite a messy solution.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, you can't get away with just a contact form these days
> if
> > > you're a business, as it's a legal requirement in some countries to
> have
> > > a contact details available, and not just a contact form.
> >
> > Do you have specifics? I've never heard of such a requirement.
> >
> > Notwithstanding Ash's assertion, I would suggest a contact form. The
> > email address is effectively hidden, and you can apply CAPTCHA to the
> > form to cut down on bot spam. It also introduces some discipline on the
> > user, and potentially allows you to categorize inquiries (making it
> > easier to pass them on to the proper person). You can also have a pick
> > list on the form which details which person you'd like the form to be
> > sent to.
> >
> > In general, on contact forms or "about us" pages, I include some
> > physical address and possibly a phone number. This might satisfy Ash's
> > requirement for "contact details".
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > --
> > Paul M. Foster
> >

> It's not my requirement, it's been a legal requirement in the UK for 3
> years now.
>
> http://www.calmdesign.co.uk/articles/Website_legal_requirements/?id=16
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Thanks for the link, Ashley, I'll admit I my ignorance regarding these
requirements in other countries. Something to consider in future projects.

Adam

--
Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 18:48 -0400, Adam Richardson wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> > one
> > needed.

> > accessibility

> > if
> > have
> > >
> > > Do you have specifics? I've never heard of such a requirement.
> > >
> > > Notwithstanding Ash's assertion, I would suggest a contact form. The
> > > email address is effectively hidden, and you can apply CAPTCHA to the
> > > form to cut down on bot spam. It also introduces some discipline on the
> > > user, and potentially allows you to categorize inquiries (making it
> > > easier to pass them on to the proper person). You can also have a pick
> > > list on the form which details which person you'd like the form to be
> > > sent to.
> > >
> > > In general, on contact forms or "about us" pages, I include some
> > > physical address and possibly a phone number. This might satisfy Ash's
> > > requirement for "contact details".
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul M. Foster
> > >

> > It's not my requirement, it's been a legal requirement in the UK for 3
> > years now.
> >
> > http://www.calmdesign.co.uk/articles/Website_legal_requirements/?id=16
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> Thanks for the link, Ashley, I'll admit I my ignorance regarding these
> requirements in other countries. Something to consider in future projects.
>
> Adam

I only know about this one because I live here! I wouldn't have a clue
about laws in other countries really!

From: Per Jessen on
David Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
> I've got a site that is needing to have two email addresses on it, on=
> for general contact and information and the other for webmaster for
> site problems. I do not want these addresses to become harvested by
> spammers yet i want to make it possible for people to email if needed=
..
> I can not use javascript for this solution.

I wouldn't bother - you won't escape the spammers anyway. :-(

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (15.9=C2=B0C)

From: Per Jessen on
Ashley Sheridan wrote:

>> > Unfortunately, you can't get away with just a contact form these
>> > days if you're a business, as it's a legal requirement in some
>> > countries to have a contact details available, and not just a
>> > contact form.
>>=20
>> Do you have specifics? I've never heard of such a requirement.
>>=20
>> Notwithstanding Ash's assertion, I would suggest a contact form. The=

>> email address is effectively hidden, and you can apply CAPTCHA to th=
>> form to cut down on bot spam. It also introduces some discipline on
>> the user, and potentially allows you to categorize inquiries (making=

>> it easier to pass them on to the proper person). You can also have a=

>> pick list on the form which details which person you'd like the form=

>> to be sent to.
>>=20
>> In general, on contact forms or "about us" pages, I include some
>> physical address and possibly a phone number. This might satisfy
>> Ash's requirement for "contact details".
>>=20
>> Paul
>>=20
>=20
>=20
> It's not my requirement, it's been a legal requirement in the UK for =
3
> years now.

It's a pretty common EU requirement for anything business related.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (16.0=C2=B0C)

From: cheran krishnamoorthy on
You can always convert an email address as image.no one can read but humans.
i think this is a simple solution.

Regards
Cherankrish

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Paul M Foster <paulf(a)quillandmouse.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 01:06:29PM +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 08:02 -0400, David Mehler wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I've got a site that is needing to have two email addresses on it, one
> > > for general contact and information and the other for webmaster for
> > > site problems. I do not want these addresses to become harvested by
> > > spammers yet i want to make it possible for people to email if needed.
> > > I can not use javascript for this solution.
> > > Suggestions appreciated.
> > > Thanks.
> > > Dave.
> > >

> > If Javascript isn't a solution (which I can understand for accessibility
> > reasons) then the only method I've seen that seems to work is to have
> > the email as an image in the same font style as it would be on the page
> > if it were just text. Facebook uses this to display contact email
> > addresses for people, and I've seen it used elsewhere also. The only
> > other method I've seen is to add in extra characters with a small note
> > to humans to remove them, but I find this quite a messy solution.
> >
> > Unfortunately, you can't get away with just a contact form these days if
> > you're a business, as it's a legal requirement in some countries to have
> > a contact details available, and not just a contact form.
>
> Do you have specifics? I've never heard of such a requirement.
>
> Notwithstanding Ash's assertion, I would suggest a contact form. The
> email address is effectively hidden, and you can apply CAPTCHA to the
> form to cut down on bot spam. It also introduces some discipline on the
> user, and potentially allows you to categorize inquiries (making it
> easier to pass them on to the proper person). You can also have a pick
> list on the form which details which person you'd like the form to be
> sent to.
>
> In general, on contact forms or "about us" pages, I include some
> physical address and possibly a phone number. This might satisfy Ash's
> requirement for "contact details".
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster