From: Rahul on
Robert Nichols <SEE_SIGNATURE(a)localhost.localdomain.invalid> wrote in

> Total shot in the dark here, but by any chance is there more than one
> user name that maps to UID 512?

Nope! Just one. But I wonder what would happen if I did have two (although
don't know what reason one could have to clash uid's but i've seen stranger
things before! :) )

--
Rahul
From: Rahul on
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote in news:i3un5f$8nm$3(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> By ze vay, you do know that if you want to see the actual username rather
> than userid, you can create your own ps output format listing using
> the -o parameter.

Nope, I didn't know. Thanks for the pointer.

The only way I've used ps is

ps aux

--
Rahul
From: J G Miller on
On Wedinesday, August 11th, 2010 at 17:53:25h +0000, Rahul wrote:

> Robert Nichols <SEE_SIGNATURE(a)localhost.localdomain.invalid> wrote in
>
>> Total shot in the dark here, but by any chance is there more than one
>> user name that maps to UID 512?
>>

> Nope! Just one. But I wonder what would happen if I did have two
> (although don't know what reason one could have to clash uid's but i've
> seen stranger things before! :) )

I think you can have two usernames with the same uid (not a good idea though)
and ps would just show the first entry in /etc/passwd.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
J G Miller wrote:
> On Wedinesday, August 11th, 2010 at 17:53:25h +0000, Rahul wrote:
>
>> Robert Nichols <SEE_SIGNATURE(a)localhost.localdomain.invalid> wrote in
>>
>>> Total shot in the dark here, but by any chance is there more than one
>>> user name that maps to UID 512?
>>>

>> Nope! Just one. But I wonder what would happen if I did have two
>> (although don't know what reason one could have to clash uid's but i've
>> seen stranger things before! :) )
>
> I think you can have two usernames with the same uid (not a good idea though)
> and ps would just show the first entry in /etc/passwd.

Correct.
From: Richard Kettlewell on
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> writes:

> I think you can have two usernames with the same uid (not a good idea
> though) and ps would just show the first entry in /etc/passwd.

Standard configuration on some platforms.

[richard(a)heceptor ~]$ head -4 /etc/passwd
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/master.passwd,v 1.40.22.1.2.1 2009/10/25 01:10:29 kensmith Exp $
#
root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/usr/local/bin/bash
toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/