From: technical123 on
Hello

As a newbie to fiddling with pc hardware I would appreciate it if
someone could advise me if there is a spare pci slot on this
motherboard-if there is I cannot find it...
All i wish to do is move the realtek rtl8139 ethernet card to another
slot.

Thanks very much for any advice

PS I am trying out mepis linux and am having trouble connecting to
internet, one suggestion was to move the pci card to a different slot
which often fixes the problem, plan B was to purchase a different
card...

From: BC on
technical123(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello
>
> As a newbie to fiddling with pc hardware I would appreciate it if
> someone could advise me if there is a spare pci slot on this
> motherboard-if there is I cannot find it...
> All i wish to do is move the realtek rtl8139 ethernet card to another
> slot.
>
> Thanks very much for any advice
>
> PS I am trying out mepis linux and am having trouble connecting to
> internet, one suggestion was to move the pci card to a different slot
> which often fixes the problem, plan B was to purchase a different
> card...

The PCI slots are the three white rectangular plastic pieces in this
picture:

http://cimg.163.com/dp/050809/hppc/hpu1127cl/12.jpg

It could be that all three are already used on your PC. However, with
most everything built into motherboards, that can be unusual.

I notice that the ptgd1-la has a built in Ethernet adapter: is it not
working, or, having an "interrupt" conflict with another device?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00300046

Many times the slot that is farthest away from the CPU/processor is the
best one to use. However, sometimes you just have to use whichever one
works.

Hope this helps,

BC

From: technical123 on
Thanks very much for the help. My three slots are already in use.
With win xp everything is okay but in mepis linux my internet
connection is infrequent, sometimes it connects but more often not. I
have asdl via router and following lots of advice from mepis forums I
have tried all sorts of settings but with no real success. Works first
time after new settings then reverts back to only now and again etc.
One suggestion put to me was to use another slot as this often fixes
the problem - what ever it is ......

I have listed the pc specs in case you spot something & also for info
on other linux distro for instance knoppix the internet connects okay.
Just seems to be my system and mepis that do not get on....

.

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4
550, 3400 MHz (17 x 200)
Motherboard Name Asus PTGD1-LA
(3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel
Grantsdale i915P
System Memory 1024 MB
BIOS Type AMI (01/14/05)
Communication Port ECP Printer
Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON X300
Series Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON X300
Series (256 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon X300
(RV370)
Monitor Iiyama Vision
Master Pro 410 A702HT [17" CRT]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB
ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R)
82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
IDE Controller Intel(R)
82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Disk Drive Maxtor 7Y250M0
(250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD
Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF
Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM
Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS
Reader USB Device
Optical Drive HP DVD Writer
630c
Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM
SD-616E (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 186184 MB
(172680 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 4804 MB (1155
MB free)
Total Size 186.5 GB (169.8
GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard
Device
Mouse HID-compliant
mouse
Mouse HID-compliant
mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek
RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (192.168.0.2)
Network Adapter Wireless PCI
802.11b/g adapter WN4201B
Modem Agere Systems
PCI Soft Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Canon S750
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB
ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB
ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB
ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB
ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801FB
ICH6 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
USB Device USB Composite
Device
USB Device USB Human
Interface Device
USB Device USB Human
Interface Device
USB Device USB Human
Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass
Storage Devi

.

From: Paul on
In article <1139218182.026635.129110(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> [...]

> D: (FAT32) 4804 MB (1155 MB free)
> Total Size 186.5 GB (169.8 GB free)
>
> Input:
> Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
> Mouse HID-compliant mouse
> Mouse HID-compliant mouse
>
> Network:
> Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC ?
> (192.168.0.2)
> Network Adapter ?Wireless PCI 802.11b/g adapter WN4201B
> Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
>
> Peripherals:
> Printer Canon S750
> USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
> USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
> USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
> USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
> USB2 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]

For a real chuckle, it looks like HP is using two motherboards
that have the same part number :-) One PTGD1-LA board uses 915G
Northbridge and has no PCI Express video slot, and the other board
uses a 915P Northbridge and has a PCI Express video card slot. I
was wondering how a X300 PCI Express video card could fit in a
motherboard with no video slot :-)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00297771

I think the Ethernet is a combined design. The MAC portion of the
Ethernet interface is in the Southbridge. The PHY portion (physical
part that drives the Ethernet cable) is a separate Realtek 8101
PHY chip.

Your Ethernet driver should be for VEN/DEV 8086:1065 .

The driver would be associated with Intel, so you are looking for
some kind of Intel driver (e100?). I'm not really up on how those
drivers work - apparently one driver handles a whole bunch of
Intel chips. Anyway, this is from the PCIDEV file on Sourceforge:

1065 82562ET/EZ/GT/GZ - PRO/100 VE Ethernet Controller

You cannot move the Ethernet, because it is inside the Southbridge.

If I had to guess what the problem might be, I notice there
is also a Wireless adapter in the computer. Is it disabled
or how has it been setup ? Is some kind of routing set up in the
box (route daemon) ? Maybe the wireless card is screwing things
up somehow (PCIDEV file suggests maybe it is an Accton card
with Intersil Prism chipset 1260:3890 ?).

So what driver is bound to the Ethernet port right now ?

In Google, I notice some distros have recently added support
for 82562, and maybe Mepis is one of the latecomers. Intel's
e100 contribution is on this page. If I had to guess, I'd
probably grab "e100-3.5.10.tar.gz" and start reading.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=407&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng&strOSs=39&submit=Go%21

Paul
From: BC on
> For a real chuckle, it looks like HP is using two motherboards
> that have the same part number :-)

Dear Paul,

actually, I think there are 5!

PTGD1-LA
Goldfish-GL8E Motherboard Specifications
PTGD1-LA
Goldfish2-GL8E Motherboard Specifications
PTGD-LA Goldfish3-GL8E Motherboard Specifications
PTGD1-LA Grouper-UL8E Motherboard Specifications
PTGD1-LA Puffer-UL8E Motherboard Specifications
PTGD1-LA PufferM-UL8E Motherboard Specifications
PTGD1-LA Puffer2-UL8E Motherboard Specifications

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/OEM/HP/

> So what driver is bound to the Ethernet port right now ?

Was a bit confused about that too--using the wireless internet
connection, and not using the on-board LAN port? If so, the Mepis
problem could just be driver support. You might try Ubuntu, it has very
good driver support and auto-detection, or, Fedora.

HTH,

BC