From: pete on
spinoza1111(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> Not a single poster here bothered to actually publish the XOR solution
> because of the stink of fear here created by corporate
> surveillance and
> its Benthamite possibility, and because some George Bush clone here
> might post nothing more than an online smirk, claiming superior
> knowledge without the ability to write.

No, it was because the XOR solution was so simple,
that even after all your raving,
it had not occured to me, and maybe not to anyone else,
that you didn't understand it.

--
pete
From: CBFalconer on
spinoza1111(a)yahoo.com wrote:

.... snip ...

> I still don't see the actual XOR solution.

^ represents XOR, as in C. a and b are any fixed arbitrary value.
Then the following lemmas hold:

a ^ b ^ a == b
a ^ a == 0
a ^ 0 == a

and all operations are commutative. With this the C operation:

for (x = i = 0; i < N; i++) x ^= array[i];

yields the odd value in x, with N odd. The running time is O(N).

From: spinoza1111 on

pete wrote:
> spinoza1111(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Not a single poster here bothered to actually publish the XOR solution
> > because of the stink of fear here created by corporate
> > surveillance and
> > its Benthamite possibility, and because some George Bush clone here
> > might post nothing more than an online smirk, claiming superior
> > knowledge without the ability to write.
>
> No, it was because the XOR solution was so simple,
> that even after all your raving,
> it had not occured to me, and maybe not to anyone else,
> that you didn't understand it.

In this case, I didn't know the XOR solution although I've used XOR,
probably before you were born, to perform tasks such as exchanging
variables.

If I need it in practical use, I can look it up today in seconds.

I've used all sorts of algorithms, and I am aware of big O taxonomy.
The problem is that you're too chickenshit to post the solution. This
is because corporate surveillance or its Benthamite potential make you
deathly afraid that you'll either make a mistake (and get dumped on) or
use a turn of phrase such as "close to" that will be subject to
negative hermeneutics.

I happen to be mildly curious about the XOR solution. At the same time,
because of my interest in and expertise in compiler optimizations which
occur below the level of big O (cf. Build Your Own .Net Language and
Compiler) I am interested, as you should be, in the properties of "bad"
algorithms *sans peur*.

This ng thread resembles some nonproductive corporate walkthrough where
at best participants PRETEND to knowledge and it is an excellent
instance of why corporate software work is so stunningly not
productive, because posters are in effect smirking, while concealing
their own ignorance and their own fear.

I'm not an intern, a bitter, twisted, and prematurely aged graduate
student, or a retiree with serious anger management problems. Instead
as a book author with thirty years of experience including the
mentioned Nash assistance, I am using this ng for its intended purpose
as a person who risks his personal reputation in order to contribute,
here with observations on group dynamics.

But for the most part, people with real contributions to make have long
excluded themselves from public-access newsgroups because of these
Fascist attacks.

There have been, in newsgroups and in the general press, continual
attacks on feminists and others who base social conclusions on
mathematical and scientific work, culminating in the criminal Sokal
hoax. These are made by careerists often working in the pay of
government and corporations who subject the scientific or mathematical
work to negative hermeneutics.

They are fueled by anger and resentment at the very idea that
mathematical analysis could be coupled with the ability to write and
not alienated as are the careerists.

So, chump, what's the XOR solution?

From: pete on
spinoza1111(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> pete wrote:
> > spinoza1111(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > > Not a single poster here bothered to actually publish
> > > the XOR solution
> > > because of the stink of fear here created by corporate
> > > surveillance and
> > > its Benthamite possibility,
> > > and because some George Bush clone here
> > > might post nothing more than an online smirk, claiming superior
> > > knowledge without the ability to write.
> >
> > No, it was because the XOR solution was so simple,
> > that even after all your raving,
> > it had not occured to me, and maybe not to anyone else,
> > that you didn't understand it.
>
> In this case, I didn't know the XOR solution although I've used XOR,
> probably before you were born, to perform tasks such as exchanging
> variables.

You had all this experience with XOR,
but couldn't apply it well enough to understand
the solution after it was given.
What could be the cause of that?
(See the end of this post for the answer)

> If I need it in practical use, I can look it up today in seconds.

You couldn't find it just now on this newsgroup.

> I've used all sorts of algorithms,

You're the greatest.

> The problem is that you're too chickenshit to post the solution.

I posted it ten minutes prior to my post to which you are replying.

> ignorance and their own fear

> Nash

> Fascist attacks

> feminists and others who base social conclusions on

Can we also have the name of a philosopher and
the name of a political system, since this is comp.programming?

> So, chump, what's the XOR solution?

Jun 15, 9:45 pm according to google.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.programming/msg/cdd08c709ef99a69?hl=en

The only problem here is that you're stupid.
There's no point in qualifying it as "too stupid to ..."
You're just stupid.

--
pete
From: spinoza1111 on

pete wrote:
> spinoza1111(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I still don't see the actual XOR solution.
>
> /* BEGIN new.c */
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main(void)
> {
> unsigned index;
> unsigned answer;
> unsigned array[] = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1};
>
> answer = 0;
> for (index = 0; index != sizeof array / sizeof *array; ++index) {
> answer ^= array[index];
> }
> printf("The unique value is %u.\n", answer);
> return 0;
> }
>
> /* END new.c */
>
> --
> pete

It's 6-16 in Hong Kong. Therefore this was just published in response
to my challenge. Thanks.

I would remark that you appear incapable of explaining it. No, I don't
need an explanation. But many visitors do, but you are so frightened by
corporate surveillance or its Benthamite potential that you can't
write.

And, I had to issue the challenge. I had to beat it out of you, and it
is code and not an explanation.

Proves my point.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Algorithm book recommendation?
Next: TaskScheduler.dll