From: Peter on
Agreed. Although anything that involves "take home" or reading of
"their" code runs the risk of the candidate presenting somebody else's
work...

It was never a good experience being responsible for the hiring of
somebody based on how well they sell themselves in an interview - some
people are hopeless "sales people" and yet could be fantastic
programmers! I mean lets face it, if you were good at selling would
you still be a programmer? :-) I know who makes the most money! Of
course there is the question of job satisfaction...

I usually just tried to get a feel for their stated experience and ask
some questions just to make sure they weren't presenting somebodies
else's (fictitious even!) resume. You generally make the best decision
based on a number of factors about each candidate and depend on the 3
or 6 month "trial" period to weed out any bad mistakes you may have
made during selection!

I remember one team I managed had an individual from overseas (I won't
mention the country or anything) - and therefore background checks by
HR were not really possible. The person made so many fundamental
mistakes that I went to the project manager and asked to see the
resume - there was no way in this world that they had ever done even
1/100th of what their resume stated! :-) Obviously the interviewers
for that person where completely conned and missed the (what should
have been) obvious signs that the resume and candidate did not match.
This was one of the many reasons why I decided on a career change and
went back to being a dumb and happy programmer! That was 14 years ago
now and I haven't regretted the decision one single day of that
time :-)

Peter

From: Roy Smith on
In article
<507f1970-9c15-4200-a90b-6ebc018c074b(a)a4g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
Peter <peter.milliken(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed. Although anything that involves "take home" or reading of
> "their" code runs the risk of the candidate presenting somebody else's
> work...

I expect a candidate to emphasize their positive qualities, perhaps even
exaggerate a little. The point of a technical interview is to assess
just how much of each :-) What I do NOT expect is outright
prevarication. I go into the interview with the assumption that the
candidate is, if nothing else, honest.

In any case, if the candidate were to submit somebody else's work, it
would come out pretty quickly as we discussed their code. I suppose one
question I might ask would be, "Can you explain why, when I copy-paste
one of your comments into a google search box, your entire program
appears?"

> I usually just tried to get a feel for their stated experience and ask
> some questions just to make sure they weren't presenting somebodies
> else's (fictitious even!) resume.

Amazingly enough, that does happen. I once got two resumes in the same
pile which were word-for-word identical, except for the name on the top.
I've been around the block a few times, but I was still shocked. I'm
not sure what was more shocking; that people could be that dishonest, or
that they could be so clumsy and stupid about it.
From: Rolando Espinoza La Fuente on
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Tim Chase
<python.list(a)tim.thechases.com> wrote:
[...]
>> More over, it can be done in just a single line of Python.
>>
>> 7 if you're not very familiar with Python.
>
> While it *can* be done in one line, I'm not sure it's the most legible
> solution.  Though I must say I like this one-line python version:
>
> for i in range(1, 101): print ((i%3==0 and 'fizz' or '') + (i%5==0 and
> 'buzz' or '')) or i
>
> (adjust "3" and "5" for your local flavor of fizzbuzz)
>
> I'm not sure I'd hire a candidate that proposed this as a solution in
> earnest, but I'd have fun chatting with them :)

I didn't believe it could take more than 5 minutes, but this took me
~10 minutes,
though I'm familiar with python and I did the FizzBuzz one-liners before:
http://gist.github.com/518370

Well.. I tried to use generators to make it "cool" but changed it for
a test-friendly approach.
I'll find hard to remember the one-liners in an interview and get it right.

Rolando Espinoza La fuente
www.insophia.com
From: Terry Reedy on
On 8/10/2010 8:08 PM, Roy Smith wrote:

> In any case, if the candidate were to submit somebody else's work, it
> would come out pretty quickly as we discussed their code. I suppose one
> question I might ask would be, "Can you explain why, when I copy-paste
> one of your comments into a google search box, your entire program
> appears?"

Mostly likely because I wrote the original...

would be my answer.
--
Terry Jan Reedy

From: Tim Chase on
On 08/11/10 01:24, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 8/10/2010 8:08 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
>> In any case, if the candidate were to submit somebody else's
>> work, it would come out pretty quickly as we discussed their
>> code. I suppose one question I might ask would be, "Can you
>> explain why, when I copy-paste one of your comments into a
>> google search box, your entire program appears?"
>
> Mostly likely because I wrote the original...
>
> would be my answer.

Unfortunately there are candidates who would give your answer but
then have trouble with "Then why are the Last-Modified HTTP
headers showing a date several months before our interview?"
It's as bad as the phone-interviews I've done where in the
background I can hear the person on the other end typing my
questions into a search box and reading off answers. On the
bright side, those are short interviews... ;-)

-tkc