From: superpollo on
Lawrence D'Oliveiro ha scritto:
> In message <4c24c152$0$31381$4fafbaef(a)reader1.news.tin.it>, superpollo
> wrote:
>
>> suppose i work in a linux environment, but i would like to ship a
>> win/dos executable file from time to time, just for test purposes (my
>> "testers" are windows users and don't want to go through the hassle of
>> installing python on their win boxes).
>
> Is it really such a hassle to install things on Windows?

no, but it *IS* to explain it to dumb users... :-(

bye
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <4c286d71$0$18654$4fafbaef(a)reader3.news.tin.it>, superpollo
wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro ha scritto:
>>
>> Is it really such a hassle to install things on Windows?
>
> no, but it *IS* to explain it to dumb users... :-(

Can't you create an installation package that specifies Python and all the
other necessary dependencies, so the Windows package-management system will
automatically pull the right versions in when the user does the
installation?
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/29/10 12:27 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<4c286d71$0$18654$4fafbaef(a)reader3.news.tin.it>, superpollo
> wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro ha scritto:
>>>
>>> Is it really such a hassle to install things on Windows?
>>
>> no, but it *IS* to explain it to dumb users... :-(
>
> Can't you create an installation package that specifies Python and all the
> other necessary dependencies, so the Windows package-management system will
> automatically pull the right versions in when the user does the
> installation?

At first, on reading this, I assumed it was sarcastic (and sort of
decided not to reply, because anti-windows is too easy); but on reading
again I'm not so sure, you're writing it all out so .. dry. Then again,
'hearing' tone in text is hard.

If this isn't sarcastic: windows has no package management system. You
include every dependency manually (in varying forms) or things don't run.

Windows has a way to track what you install, and the ability to
uninstall about three fourths of it later. That's it.

--

... Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Bill Davy on
"Stephen Hansen" <me+list/python(a)ixokai.io> wrote in message
> On 6/29/10 12:27 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message<4c286d71$0$18654$4fafbaef(a)reader3.news.tin.it>, superpollo
>> wrote:

>>> no, but it *IS* to explain it to dumb users... :-(
>>
>> Can't you create an installation package that specifies Python and all
>> the
>> other necessary dependencies, so the Windows package-management system
>> will
>> automatically pull the right versions in when the user does the
>> installation?
>
> At first, on reading this, I assumed it was sarcastic (and sort of decided
> not to reply, because anti-windows is too easy); but on reading again I'm
> not so sure, you're writing it all out so .. dry. Then again, 'hearing'
> tone in text is hard.
>
> If this isn't sarcastic: windows has no package management system. You
> include every dependency manually (in varying forms) or things don't run.
>
> Windows has a way to track what you install, and the ability to uninstall
> about three fourths of it later. That's it.
>
> --
>
> ... Stephen Hansen
> ... Also: Ixokai
> ... Mail: me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io
> ... Blog: http://meh.ixokai.io/

Not that I am a supporter of Windows nor an expert at MSI BUT later versions
of Visual Studio do have a mechanism for building a package. I know it's
not in VC6, but is in VS.2008.
HTH,
Bill