From: X-N2O on
Hi,
I've been using msvc6 for a year now, and I prefer it over any other
IDE for Windows development.
However, I've never had to deal with MFC. I decided to make msvc6 have
an 'xp style'. At first, I tried by including a manifest file in it's
resource section. That seemed to work only for some controls, but all
of them, most controls were still unchanged. Then I applied an inline
patch to call InitCommonControls, but that had no effect either. While
seeing the unchanged controls' properties in Spy++, I noticed they
didn't have normal window class names. I believe those classes were
implemented as custom controls in mfc42.dll. Any idea of how I could
replace those control classes with ones that xp style is applicable
with? I don't know anything regarding how MFC works, in assembly
level. I know this has been done before.
From: Tom Serface on
If you upgrade to 2008 you'll get the benefit of the MFC Feature Pack which
has a lot of theme capabilities. Other than that you could use a library
like that found at www.codejock.com which offers a lot of control over look
and feel.

One problem with the manifest approach is you're not going to get the same
look when you run your software on different platforms. That may not matter
to you, it does to me because of documentation and support, etc.

Upgrades to VS 2008 are going pretty cheap right now with 2010 looming
(their words not mine):

http://searchwindevelopment.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid8_gci1347126,00.html#

Tom

From: X-N2O on
On Feb 23, 7:32 pm, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
> If you upgrade to 2008 you'll get the benefit of the MFC Feature Pack which
> has a lot of theme capabilities.  Other than that you could use a library
> like that found atwww.codejock.comwhich offers a lot of control over look
> and feel.
>
> One problem with the manifest approach is you're not going to get the same
> look when you run your software on different platforms.  That may not matter
> to you, it does to me because of documentation and support, etc.
>
> Upgrades to VS 2008 are going pretty cheap right now with 2010 looming
> (their words not mine):
>
> http://searchwindevelopment.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid8...
>
> Tom
>
> "X-N2O" <ledio...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > I've been using msvc6 for a year now, and I prefer it over any other
> > IDE for Windows development.
> > However, I've never had to deal with MFC. I decided to make msvc6 have
> > an 'xp style'. At first, I tried by including a manifest file in it's
> > resource section. That seemed to work only for some controls, but all
> > of them, most controls were still unchanged. Then I applied an inline
> > patch to call InitCommonControls, but that had no effect either. While
> > seeing the unchanged controls' properties in Spy++, I noticed they
> > didn't have normal window class names. I believe those classes were
> > implemented as custom controls in mfc42.dll. Any idea of how I could
> > replace those control classes with ones that xp style is applicable
> > with? I don't know anything regarding how MFC works, in assembly
> > level. I know this has been done before.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I think you got me wrong.
I'm not looking to make MFC applications with themes etc.
This is about msvc6. It was coded using MFC and it uses mfc42.dll.
By modifying the program itself through inline patching (MSDEV.EXE), I
was trying to make the already compiled application have xp-style
controls.
If I had the source code it would have been easier.
From: Ajay Kalra on
On Feb 23, 1:56 pm, X-N2O <ledio...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 7:32 pm, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
>

> > If you upgrade to 2008 you'll get the benefit of the MFC Feature Pack which
> > has a lot of theme capabilities.  Other than that you could use a library
> > like that found atwww.codejock.comwhichoffers a lot of control over look
> > and feel.
>
> > One problem with the manifest approach is you're not going to get the same
> > look when you run your software on different platforms.  That may not matter
> > to you, it does to me because of documentation and support, etc.
>
> > Upgrades to VS 2008 are going pretty cheap right now with 2010 looming
> > (their words not mine):
>
> >http://searchwindevelopment.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid8...
>
> > Tom
>
> > "X-N2O" <ledio...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi,
> > > I've been using msvc6 for a year now, and I prefer it over any other
> > > IDE for Windows development.
> > > However, I've never had to deal with MFC. I decided to make msvc6 have
> > > an 'xp style'. At first, I tried by including a manifest file in it's
> > > resource section. That seemed to work only for some controls, but all
> > > of them, most controls were still unchanged. Then I applied an inline
> > > patch to call InitCommonControls, but that had no effect either. While
> > > seeing the unchanged controls' properties in Spy++, I noticed they
> > > didn't have normal window class names. I believe those classes were
> > > implemented as custom controls in mfc42.dll. Any idea of how I could
> > > replace those control classes with ones that xp style is applicable
> > > with? I don't know anything regarding how MFC works, in assembly
> > > level. I know this has been done before.
>
> Hi, thanks for the reply.
> I think you got me wrong.
> I'm not looking to make MFC applications with themes etc.
> This is about msvc6. It was coded using MFC and it uses mfc42.dll.
> By modifying the program itself through inline patching (MSDEV.EXE), I
> was trying to make the already compiled application have xp-style
> controls.
> If I had the source code it would have been easier.

So you are modifying the binary?

--
Ajay

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Probably likes to juggle nitroglycerin-loaded bowling balls on thin ice for amusement...

This sounds seriously risky beyond all sanity...
joe
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:06:45 -0800 (PST), Ajay Kalra <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Feb 23, 1:56�pm, X-N2O <ledio...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 23, 7:32�pm, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
>>

>> > If you upgrade to 2008 you'll get the benefit of the MFC Feature Pack which
>> > has a lot of theme capabilities. �Other than that you could use a library
>> > like that found atwww.codejock.comwhichoffers a lot of control over look
>> > and feel.
>>
>> > One problem with the manifest approach is you're not going to get the same
>> > look when you run your software on different platforms. �That may not matter
>> > to you, it does to me because of documentation and support, etc.
>>
>> > Upgrades to VS 2008 are going pretty cheap right now with 2010 looming
>> > (their words not mine):
>>
>> >http://searchwindevelopment.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid8...
>>
>> > Tom
>>
>> > "X-N2O" <ledio...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Hi, thanks for the reply.
>> I think you got me wrong.
>> I'm not looking to make MFC applications with themes etc.
>> This is about msvc6. It was coded using MFC and it uses mfc42.dll.
>> By modifying the program itself through inline patching (MSDEV.EXE), I
>> was trying to make the already compiled application have xp-style
>> controls.
>> If I had the source code it would have been easier.
>
>So you are modifying the binary?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com