From: ianwr on
One very interesting point to note, i did the same on an identical
server that is running sql 2000 rather than 2005, according to the san
guy its setup identical and the performance times were very different.

throughput was 80mb/sec rather than 20mb/sec and latency was 30ms
rather than the 600-700ms. I tried 3 or 4 times with the same query
and results were constant.

Gone back to the SAN guy and asked him to confirm everything was
identical. If he says they are will run SQLio on the server to confirm
if SQL server is the culprit or the configurations are indeed
different.

Ian,
From: TheSQLGuru on
There is definitely something different somewhere. It could possibly be
linked to OS file level fragmentation, but I doubt that could be the sole
reason for that level of throughput/latency issues.

--
Kevin G. Boles
TheSQLGuru

From: TheSQLGuru on
Disk sec/read is extraordinarily high. You don't need a sqlio run to give
something to the SAN guys IMHO. 700-1200ms latency is way more than enough.

From: ianwr on
Will keep you posted and let you know what it was when i get to the
bottom of it.