From: Carl Brewer on

I'm having to do an urgent job on a postfix box that I'm not overly
familiar with, and it involves moving to a new server.

I've got a bunch of local accounts and while the move is happening I
need the local accounts emails to be forwarded to the new box, which has
the same accounts on it.

The 'old' box has a number of processes on it that send email, and I
need to get postfix on that box to not send the mail to the local (to
the old box) mail spool files, but to deliver them to the new server. I
have a pile (some 100 or so) of local mail boxes on the old server
listed in virtual and their domains in relay_domains.cf that all need to
be pushed to the new box.

I've set up the relayhost in main.cf to point to the new server, but
AFAIK that just does outgoing mail. I've changed the MX records for all
the domains that point at the old server so that incoming mail will soon
trickle to a halt, but that doesn't solve the whole problem, if postfix
sees mail for an address it thinks it hosts, it wants to deliver it
locally. Should I just kill off all the entries in relay_domains.cf and
virtual to stop it doing that so it sends everything to the relayhost?

I don't think luser-relay is the right way to do this, can anyone point
me at the quick & dirty way to do this, or the appropriate section of
the postfix documentation?

Thankyou!

Carl

From: mouss on
Carl Brewer a �crit :

> I'm having to do an urgent job on a postfix box that I'm not overly
> familiar with, and it involves moving to a new server.
>
> I've got a bunch of local accounts and while the move is happening I
> need the local accounts emails to be forwarded to the new box, which has
> the same accounts on it.
>
> The 'old' box has a number of processes on it that send email, and I
> need to get postfix on that box to not send the mail to the local (to
> the old box) mail spool files, but to deliver them to the new server. I
> have a pile (some 100 or so) of local mail boxes on the old server
> listed in virtual and their domains in relay_domains.cf that all need to
> be pushed to the new box.
>
> I've set up the relayhost in main.cf to point to the new server, but
> AFAIK that just does outgoing mail. I've changed the MX records for all
> the domains that point at the old server so that incoming mail will soon
> trickle to a halt, but that doesn't solve the whole problem, if postfix
> sees mail for an address it thinks it hosts, it wants to deliver it
> locally. Should I just kill off all the entries in relay_domains.cf and
> virtual to stop it doing that so it sends everything to the relayhost?
>
> I don't think luser-relay is the right way to do this, can anyone point
> me at the quick & dirty way to do this, or the appropriate section of
> the postfix documentation?

move all domains from mydestination and virtual_mailbox_domains to
relay_domains.

From: Carl Brewer on
mouss wrote:

> move all domains from mydestination and virtual_mailbox_domains to
> relay_domains.

To confirm, (there's no relay_domains in my main.cf at the moment) :

I have at present :

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
/etc/postfix/relay_domains.cf

I should change that to :

relay_domains = /etc/postfix/relay_domains.cf

?

From: mouss on
Carl Brewer a �crit :
> mouss wrote:
>

>> move all domains from mydestination and virtual_mailbox_domains to
>> relay_domains.
>
> To confirm, (there's no relay_domains in my main.cf at the moment) :
>
> I have at present :
>
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
> /etc/postfix/relay_domains.cf
>

> I should change that to :
>
> relay_domains = /etc/postfix/relay_domains.cf
>

> ?

yes.

that said, you still have $myhostname, ... as for local delivery. it's
unclear if you want these to be passed to the remote server. if so, add
them to relay_domains (and remove them from mydestination). if there is
no MX, you may need to add transport_maps entries and configure the
remote system to accept mail for these domains.