From: JOSELUIS on
HI MY NAME IS JOSE LUIS FROM SPAIN I´M A ROCKIE IN ACCESS.I CREATE A ACCESS
DATABASE FOR A SPORT COMPETITION. IN A QUERY I CREATE :
PLAYERID/PLAYERNAME/TEAM/MARK BUT I NEED TO RANK ALL THE PLAYERS IN EACH
TEAM.
WHY? BECAUSE ONLY THE THREE BEST PLAYERS IN EACH TEAM ARE TAKING INTO ACCOUNT
IN THE TEAM CLASIFICATION THEREFORE THE PLAYER WHOSE MARK IS HIGHER WILL BE
1º AND SO ON UPTO 3º AND TEAMMARK= SUM(MARK ONLY 1º,2º,3º)
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH AND THANK YOU IN ANTICIPATION.

From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
Jose Luis:

The following query, based on your existing query, should do it:

SELECT Team, PlayerID, PlayerName, Mark,
(SELECT COUNT(*)+1
FROM YourFirstQuery AS Q2
WHERE Q2.Team = Q1.Team
AND Q2.Mark > Q1.Mark) AS Rank
FROM YourFirstQuery AS Q1
ORDER BY Team, Mark DESC, PlayerID, PlayerName;

You can then base another query on this second query to give you the team
marks:

SELECT Team, SUM(Mark) AS TeamMark
FROM YourSecondQuery
WHERE Rank <=3
GROUP BY Team;

In each case change the query and/or field names to your real ones, but you
don't need to change the Q1 or Q2 aliases.

Bear in mind that you could get more than 3 players per team ranked at 3 or
above if 2 or more tie for third place, 3 or more tie for second place or 4
or more tie for first place.

No need to apologise for your English; its far better than my meagre Spanish!
But please don't post in all capital letters; it sounds like you are shouting
and is not considered good 'netiquette'.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
Replied to other identical post.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

From: JOSELUIS via AccessMonster.com on
KenSheridan wrote:
>Jose Luis:
>
>The following query, based on your existing query, should do it:
>
>SELECT Team, PlayerID, PlayerName, Mark,
> (SELECT COUNT(*)+1
> FROM YourFirstQuery AS Q2
> WHERE Q2.Team = Q1.Team
> AND Q2.Mark > Q1.Mark) AS Rank
>FROM YourFirstQuery AS Q1
>ORDER BY Team, Mark DESC, PlayerID, PlayerName;
>
>You can then base another query on this second query to give you the team
>marks:
>
>SELECT Team, SUM(Mark) AS TeamMark
>FROM YourSecondQuery
>WHERE Rank <=3
>GROUP BY Team;
>
>In each case change the query and/or field names to your real ones, but you
>don't need to change the Q1 or Q2 aliases.
>
>Bear in mind that you could get more than 3 players per team ranked at 3 or
>above if 2 or more tie for third place, 3 or more tie for second place or 4
>or more tie for first place.
>
>No need to apologise for your English; its far better than my meagre Spanish!
>But please don't post in all capital letters; it sounds like you are shouting
>and is not considered good 'netiquette'.
>
>Ken Sheridan
>Stafford, England
>
>>As You see I´m not writing in capital letters anymore and thank you for your help but I´m afraid I need a bit more of your help. I create the first query based on my query and it works but not totally because the field rank appears in all players of each team as 1.Could yould tell me any other way or idea?
Best regards
Jose Luis,
Leon,Spain.

From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
Jose Luis:

It shouldn't do that. Please post the SQL and name of your original query.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England