From: BillT on
Hi folks,
I have been successfully helped (Geoff Schaller, Johan Nel and others)
in getting started with SQLSelect to create a server for bBrowser. I
now have successfully joined 2 tables in order to obtain the textvalue
for a foreign key - great stuff!.
But now I want to CaptionClick and reorder the rows according to the
caption. I have this working using VO SQL server, by issuing
Self:server:orderby(#ProductID) etc.
But I cannot find how to do this with my SQLSelect result. I have
looked in bBrowser Help and found bArrayServer:CretaeOrder but that
doesn't seem to be suitable; I have searched SQL online tutorials but
stlill no answer.
Is there any way to sort an existing browse other than by reissuing
the whole Select statement with a different ORDERBY clause?

Thanks,
Bill

From: BillT on
Me again! Further to what I said above, reissuing the Select creates
an additional overhead in that currently I manually create the columns
required - therefore I would also have to rebuild all the columns for
each caption click?
Seems like a lot of overhead?

Regards,
Bill
From: Geoff Schaller on
Bill.

If you persist with the crappy VO SQL classes you will get crappy
results <g>.

You can do this with ADO but not with the sql classes. You can issue an
order by on the underlying recordset without having to re-execute the
select but if re-issuing the select takes less than half a second, who
cares?

And no, to answer the other post, you do NOT have to rebuild all the
columns if they haven't changed. But you would have to drop and add lost
or new ones.

Geoff

From: BillT on
Geoff,
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant previously about not using the
"crappy VO SQL classes"? I assumed that by using SQLConnection and
SQLSelect, and thereby avoiding the SQLEditor to create SQL Servers,
that I was doing what you suggested. Am I incorrect?

Always happy to listen to the 'gurus', so will have a look at ADO.

Re not rebuilding columns - are talking from an ADO perspective? I
can't find any way to achieve the column sort without reissuing a
Select?

thanks,
Bill
From: Geoff Schaller on
Bill,

I am probably being a little too unkind to the VO SQL classes but they
have too many limitations for me. They can be made to work and there are
some VO apps built on them out there in commercial land but they are
poorly featured, buggy and rely on ODBC.

Most of us ditched any thought of these classes and use Robert's VO2Ado.
It is a third party library and it costs but it is truly worth it. I
will let others jump in with comments.