From: Stan Hoeppner on
brian moore put forth on 2/22/2010 12:57 PM:

> I like Spamhaus, and it is very effective, though they do charge a
> nontrivial fee for commercial usage that would never get approved around here.

You may be pleasantly surprised to find out you do qualify for free use.

http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html

*Definition: "non-commercial use" is use for any purpose other than as part
or all of a product or service that is resold, or for use of which a fee is
charged. For example, using our DNSBLs in a commercial spam filtering
appliance that is then sold to others requires a data feed, regardless of
use volume. The same is true of commercial spam filtering software and
commercial spam filtering services.

If you're non-commercial, and at less than 100,000 SMTP transactions per
day, and less than 300,000 dnsbl queries per day, then you qualify for the
free service.

--
Stan

From: brian moore on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:47:09 -0600
Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html
>
> *Definition: "non-commercial use" is use for any purpose other than as part
> or all of a product or service that is resold, or for use of which a fee is
> charged. For example, using our DNSBLs in a commercial spam filtering
> appliance that is then sold to others requires a data feed, regardless of
> use volume. The same is true of commercial spam filtering software and
> commercial spam filtering services.

My toy domains qualify, sure. But they're mostly toys and though I have
thousands of valid(!) addresses at them, they're mainly used to track who is
selling my name. The addresses are effectively tracking cookies.

My work domains (3 ISP's, with a few thousand users especially) do not qualify.

ISP's, even small ones, must pay.

| Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs by organizations and networks with email traffic
| likely to exceed the Free Use limits, or by ISPs or commercial spam filter
| services, requires a subscription to the Spamhaus DNSBL Datafeed Service,
| a service designed for users with professional DNSBL requirements.

Strip out the commas to make the sentence simpler:
Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs by organizations and networks ... or by ISPs ...
requires a subscription to the Spamhaus DNSBL Datafeed Service...

When Spamhaus switched to this model, they sent mail insisting I pay, so
they seem to agree with my interpretation.

[Ironically, the ISP's are actually owned by a Non-profit, and one is
a non-profit itself, using revenues from paying customers to subsidize low income
access... but 501c3 status is not mentioned as a distinguisher between commercial
and non-commercial, and it is all a very complicated arrangement to appease
the IRS anyway...)

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:40:47AM -0800, brian moore wrote:
> Strip out the commas to make the sentence simpler:
> Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs by organizations and networks ... or
> by ISPs ... requires a subscription to the Spamhaus DNSBL
> Datafeed Service...
>
> When Spamhaus switched to this model, they sent mail insisting I
> pay, so they seem to agree with my interpretation.
>
> [Ironically, the ISP's are actually owned by a Non-profit, and one
> is a non-profit itself, using revenues from paying customers to
> subsidize low income access... but 501c3 status is not mentioned as
> a distinguisher between commercial and non-commercial, and it is
> all a very complicated arrangement to appease the IRS anyway...)

It's not surprising that Spamhaus would fail to mention US IRS
classifications of status, since they are based in UK.

Did you reply to the email and ask?

When my friend[1] Norman De Forest passed away in 2006, Spamhaus
donated a data feed to his ISP, Chebucto Community Net, as a
memorial. There are human beings behind Spamhaus; perhaps you can
find a sympathetic ear. Can't hurt to ask, anyway. Good luck.

[1] An Internet acquaintance only, but I think anyone[2] who came
in contact with Norman thought of him as a friend.
http://beacon.chebucto.ca/Content-2006/norman.html
[2] Except for spammers, of course. :)