From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
mailnotmything <aeaston(a)shawneecourt.org> wrote:
> I'm upgrading the server that a in-house program runs on. It uses
> sendmail to receive and send responses. The program creates a qf and
> df file and puts them in /var/spool/mqueue. It was running sendmail
> from 2001 and has worked fine until this upgrade. The new server is
> using sendmail v8.13. I get the following error messages in the mail
> console log: readqf: no control file ./qfXXXXXX Permission denied or
> readqf: ./dfXXXXXX incomplete queue file read.

Could post what is reported by "mailq -v" command (issued by root)?
[ show queues content ]

> Does sendmail still use the df and qf files?

Yes.

> How does sendmail use them now vs. 2001 version?

My wild guess: Upgrade through MANY intermediate versions could make
sendmail complain about "old trash" in the queue file.

Could you check age of files in /var/spool/mqueue?
Sendmail should "deliver or bounce" messages after 5 days (in default
configuration). Do you have files in queue directory older than 7 days?

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
"I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
From: mailnotmything on
On Jan 27, 11:41 am, Andrzej Adam Filip <a...(a)onet.eu> wrote:
> mailnotmything <aeas...(a)shawneecourt.org> wrote:
> > I'm upgrading the server that a in-house program runs on.  It uses
> > sendmail to receive and send responses.  The program creates a qf and
> > df file and puts them in /var/spool/mqueue. It was running sendmail
> > from 2001 and has worked fine until this upgrade.  The new server is
> > using sendmail v8.13.  I get the following error messages in the mail
> > console log: readqf: no control file ./qfXXXXXX Permission denied or
> > readqf: ./dfXXXXXX incomplete queue file read.
>
> Could post what is reported by "mailq -v" command (issued by root)?
> [ show queues content ]
>
> > Does sendmail still use the df and qf files?
>
> Yes.
>
> > How does sendmail use them now vs. 2001 version?
>
> My wild guess: Upgrade through MANY intermediate versions could make
> sendmail complain about "old trash" in the queue file.
>
> Could you check age of files in /var/spool/mqueue?
> Sendmail should "deliver or bounce" messages after 5 days (in default
> configuration). Do you have files in queue directory older than 7 days?
>
> --
> [pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : a...(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Fi...(a)gmail.com
> "I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
> people waiting to abuse me."
>   -- Bill Murray, "Ghostbusters"

The files were created today, so none are older than 7 days.

The output from mailq -v is below:
MAA15213 6309 30964 Aug 25 09:52
<address(a)efile.shawneecourt.org>
(host map: lookup (shawneecourt.org): deferred)

PFD:<secondaddress(a)shawneecourt.org>

I changed the output above so the address is fake.