Prev: test
Next: dhcpd angst...
From: notbob on
I got a buncha Word docs I need to look at. I usually email back and
tell 'em to shove it, but this time I need the info. I grabbed the
word2txt script off the net, but then discovered it needed catdoc and
god knows what else. Before I start down that rabbit hole, does 13
have a simple doc -> ascii txt utility I'm unaware of? Screw Kword.

Thnx

nb
From: Richard Herbert on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:17:08 +0000, notbob wrote:

> I got a buncha Word docs I need to look at. I usually email back and
> tell 'em to shove it, but this time I need the info. I grabbed the
> word2txt script off the net, but then discovered it needed catdoc and
> god knows what else. Before I start down that rabbit hole, does 13 have
> a simple doc -> ascii txt utility I'm unaware of? Screw Kword.

I doesn't come with Slackware, but you might want to try Antiword:

http://www.winfield.demon.nl/#Programmer

It compiles easily and can be uninstalled via make if necessary. It only
handles Word docs up to version 2003, and doesn't work with RTF files, but
it won't give you cancer, either.

--
Richard Herbert
Registered Linux user 14329
From: Glyn Millington on
notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> writes:

> I got a buncha Word docs I need to look at. I usually email back and
> tell 'em to shove it, but this time I need the info. I grabbed the
> word2txt script off the net, but then discovered it needed catdoc and
> god knows what else. Before I start down that rabbit hole, does 13
> have a simple doc -> ascii txt utility I'm unaware of? Screw Kword.

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.1/office/antiword/

Ok for .doc files, for .docx you may need OPen Office

atb

Glyn
--
RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
From: Aaron W. Hsu on
Richard Herbert wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:17:08 +0000, notbob wrote:
>
>> I got a buncha Word docs I need to look at. I usually email back and
>> tell 'em to shove it, but this time I need the info. I grabbed the
>> word2txt script off the net, but then discovered it needed catdoc and
>> god knows what else. Before I start down that rabbit hole, does 13
have
>> a simple doc -> ascii txt utility I'm unaware of? Screw Kword.
>
> I doesn't come with Slackware, but you might want to try Antiword:

I believe that antiword does come with Slackware.

Aaron W. Hsu
From: Aaron W. Hsu on
notbob wrote:

> I got a buncha Word docs I need to look at. I usually email back and
> tell 'em to shove it, but this time I need the info. I grabbed the
> word2txt script off the net, but then discovered it needed catdoc and
> god knows what else. Before I start down that rabbit hole, does 13
> have a simple doc -> ascii txt utility I'm unaware of? Screw Kword.

Now would also be a good time for me to plug my favorite office suite.
It's not for everyone, but I really like Softmaker Office. It has the best
compatibility with Microsoft formats that I have seen, it is very slim and
fast, and they have great prices. It's not open-source software, and it's
not freeware. However, if you need top-notch compatibility and a full-
featured office suite for Linux, I personally think it kicks the pants off
of OpenOffice.org for most needs.

I've encountered one PowerPoint document that didn't render correctly with
Softmaker, and that was during a Beta test of a new release. They took the
example, and it worked just fine in the final release.

Aaron W. Hsu
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: test