From: neilsolent on
On 16 Jan, 22:26, David Schwartz <dav...(a)webmaster.com> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 7:52 am, neilsolent <n...(a)solenttechnology.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > To recap.
> > We don't think there is any C function call that will do a clean
> > reboot on UNIX.
> > We need to call a shell command.
> > So we want a shell script that will check the version of UNIX and do a
> > clean reboot.
>
> Cannot be done. The proper way to do a clean reboot is critically
> system dependent. You must ask a human being for permission and for
> instruction.
>
> There is no "one right way" to do a clean reboot. On some machines, it
> requires arranging load migration to other machines in the cluster. On
> some machines, it can only be done intentionally during a maintenance
> window.
>
> > On Solaris, I find /usr/bin/shutdown does not seem to SIGTERM all the
> > processes (I guess - it assumes every process has a shutdown script if
> > it needs it). I find the reboot command does send a SIGTERM to the
> > processes. Ideally - the shutdown scripts are run, and remaining
> > processes are signalled.
> > Thoughts / experiences anyone?
> > What's a standard script for rebooting UNIX?
>
> There is no standard script. Every system is different, and rightfully
> and necessarily so.
>
> Why are you rebooting the machine from a script anyway?
>
> DS

Why write a script to do anything?
We could all just do a lot of typing - it's fun :-)

From: neilsolent on
On 16 Jan, 22:22, pac...(a)kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:
> In article <81648a97-e547-452b-8f4f-b386af42a...(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroups..com>,
>
> neilsolent  <n...(a)solenttechnology.co.uk> wrote:
> >To recap.
> >We don't think there is any C function call that will do a clean
> >reboot on UNIX.
>
> Maybe this is because a reboot is a major event in unix, and if it needs to
> be done, it deserves to be supervised by an administrator familiar with the
> system (who knows the commands, and can decide how many minutes, hours, or
> days ahead of time the downtime should be announced to the users), not by
> some third-party shell script hacked together with fragments gathered from
> Usenet.
>
> "Reboots are for kernel upgrades", the saying goes...
>
> --
> Alan Curry

So you check every running process before you reboot a system and plan
out how it would like to shutdown?

From: Gary R. Schmidt on
neilsolent wrote:
> On 16 Jan, 22:22, pac...(a)kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:
>> In article <81648a97-e547-452b-8f4f-b386af42a...(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> neilsolent <n...(a)solenttechnology.co.uk> wrote:
>>> To recap.
>>> We don't think there is any C function call that will do a clean
>>> reboot on UNIX.
>> Maybe this is because a reboot is a major event in unix, and if it needs to
>> be done, it deserves to be supervised by an administrator familiar with the
>> system (who knows the commands, and can decide how many minutes, hours, or
>> days ahead of time the downtime should be announced to the users), not by
>> some third-party shell script hacked together with fragments gathered from
>> Usenet.
>>
>> "Reboots are for kernel upgrades", the saying goes...
>>
>> --
>> Alan Curry
>
> So you check every running process before you reboot a system and plan
> out how it would like to shutdown?

Yes.

How *else* can you be sure you aren't going to cause a failure of a
critical (business) process?

Cheers,
Gary B-)
From: neilsolent on
On 17 Jan, 11:19, "Gary R. Schmidt" <grschm...(a)acm.org> wrote:
> neilsolent wrote:
> > On 16 Jan, 22:22, pac...(a)kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:

> >> Maybe this is because a reboot is a major event in unix, and if it needs to
> >> be done, it deserves to be supervised by an administrator familiar with the
> >> system (who knows the commands, and can decide how many minutes, hours, or
> >> days ahead of time the downtime should be announced to the users), not by
> >> some third-party shell script hacked together with fragments gathered from
> >> Usenet.
>
> >> "Reboots are for kernel upgrades", the saying goes...
>
> >> --
> >> Alan Curry
>
> > So you check every running process before you reboot a system and plan
> > out how it would like to shutdown?
>
> Yes.
>
> How *else* can you be sure you aren't going to cause a failure of a
> critical (business) process?
>
>         Cheers,
>                 Gary    B-)- Hide quoted text -

Can you be sure you won't cause a failure even if you can spend all
week planning your reboot?
From: Gary R. Schmidt on
neilsolent wrote:
> On 17 Jan, 11:19, "Gary R. Schmidt" <grschm...(a)acm.org> wrote:
>> neilsolent wrote:
>>> So you check every running process before you reboot a system and plan
>>> out how it would like to shutdown?
>> Yes.
>>
>> How *else* can you be sure you aren't going to cause a failure of a
>> critical (business) process?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Gary B-)- Hide quoted text -

> Can you be sure you won't cause a failure even if you can spend all
> week planning your reboot?
Yes.

But then, I've been doing this sort of stuff for a while, it all gets
automatic after a time.

Cheers,
Gary B-)