From: December on
I'm sure everyone is tired of the red x problem, but I haven't been able to
find a fix for my issue. I used to get the dialogue box reading "OE has
prevented openings which could reveal the location of your computer etc.";
then suddenly without having changed any settings all my email has red x's
in place of links and nothing I've tried helps. I am still able to view
ordinary pictures embedded in email or sent as attachments. (This reminds me
of an instance in October 2008 when OE spontaneously reinstalled and cleaned
out *all* my files. They're still on my computer labeled "lost files" but I
haven't found a way to open them.)

I'm running OE6 w/XP on a Dell Inspiron530; any advice would be gratefully
appreciated. Thanks!

December

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Did you just install SP3 and/or do a Repair Install of Windows?

in the background when you installed ___?

it)?

From: December on
Thanks for answering! I use NOD32, Spybot S&D, IOBIT Auto Smart Defrag and
Auslogics BoostSpeed. I hadn't installed anything new, though, when this
started happening. I recently renewed my NOD32 license but that didn't change
anything, nor does turning off the Windows firewall.

I hadn't thought of Spybot being a problem; it's supposed to notify me
before changing anything but something may have sneaked by. Do you have any
idea what I should look for if I search Spybot?

I also forgot to mention I use Firefox 2.1. The last time I tried upgrading
when 3.0 first came out all my bookmarks disappeared so I uninstalled 3 and
re-installed 2. I know I should upgrade but I don't really trust Mozilla any
longer.

I really appreciate your advice, I've tried everything I can think of but
obviously I'm missing something out of the ordinary.

December

From: Steve Cochran on
Try Tools | Options | Security and uncheck the option to block images and other external content and see if that takes care of the issue.

steve

From: December on
Thank you! Unfortunately, I already tried that one a couple dozen times <g>.
I've also made sure "read in plain text" isn't checked, I have Java enabled -
I've combed through every command I can think of that might be causing this
but I'm thinking it must be a registry error. I'm hesitant to re-install OE,
though, I do *not* want to lose all my mail, folders, address book etc. again!

I hate it when computers act like people.....

December