From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth Tad McClellan <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid>:

> So then,
>
> s/\bMc([a-z])/Mc\U$1/;
> or
> s/(?<=\bMc)([a-z])/\U$1/;
>

> Good luck getting MacArthur from Macarthur without also getting
> MacHine from Machine...

s/(?<=\bMac)(?!h)([a-z])/\U$1/;

obviously...

Ben

From: sln on
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:16:41 +0100, Ben Morrow <ben(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:

>Quoth Tad McClellan <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid>:
>>
>> So then,
>>
>> s/\bMc([a-z])/Mc\U$1/;
>> or
>> s/(?<=\bMc)([a-z])/\U$1/;
>>

>> Good luck getting MacArthur from Macarthur without also getting
>> MacHine from Machine...
>
> s/(?<=\bMac)(?!h)([a-z])/\U$1/;
>
>obviously...

?? What about Machenderson ??
I think Mc... is a little easier to "divine" than Mac...
Either way, a list of valid names would have to be used.
The point is moot.

-sln
From: John on

<sln(a)netherlands.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:16:41 +0100, Ben Morrow <ben(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:
>

>>Quoth Tad McClellan <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid>:
>>>
>>> So then,
>>>
>>> s/\bMc([a-z])/Mc\U$1/;
>>> or
>>> s/(?<=\bMc)([a-z])/\U$1/;
>>>

>>> Good luck getting MacArthur from Macarthur without also getting
>>> MacHine from Machine...
>>
>> s/(?<=\bMac)(?!h)([a-z])/\U$1/;
>>
>>obviously...
>>
> ?? What about Machenderson ??
> I think Mc... is a little easier to "divine" than Mac...
> Either way, a list of valid names would have to be used.
> The point is moot.
>
> -sln

Hi

I just check for the following afterwards:

Mach Machete Machine Machinable Mackerel Macro Mace Macerate Macula

otherwise the replacement will be OK.

As you say, Mc, is easier.

Regards
John

From: Tad McClellan on
John <john1949(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

><sln(a)netherlands.com> wrote in message

>>> s/(?<=\bMac)(?!h)([a-z])/\U$1/;
>>>
>>>obviously...
>>>
>> ?? What about Machenderson ??
>> I think Mc... is a little easier to "divine" than Mac...
>> Either way, a list of valid names would have to be used.
>> The point is moot.
>>
>> -sln
>
> Hi
>
> I just check for the following afterwards:
>
> Mach Machete Machine Machinable Mackerel Macro Mace Macerate Macula

There are 251 names that start with MAC at

http://names.mongabay.com/surnames_M.htm

A fair number of them should not be changed as you suggest..

MacHiavelli, MacIna, MacK, MacOmb etc...

> otherwise the replacement will be OK.

OK with you maybe, but almost for sure not OK with the person
whose name you mangle. [1]

[1] I often get snail mail addressed to Mr. Clellan, I assume
because there's only a few pixels difference between "c"
and "r" which confused an OCR program somewhere...

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
From: John on

"Tad McClellan" <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid> wrote in message
> John <john1949(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>><sln(a)netherlands.com> wrote in message

>>> ?? What about Machenderson ??
>>> I think Mc... is a little easier to "divine" than Mac...
>>> Either way, a list of valid names would have to be used.
>>> The point is moot.
>>>
>>> -sln
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I just check for the following afterwards:
>>
>> Mach Machete Machine Machinable Mackerel Macro Mace Macerate Macula
>

> There are 251 names that start with MAC at
>
> http://names.mongabay.com/surnames_M.htm
>
> A fair number of them should not be changed as you suggest..
>
> MacHiavelli, MacIna, MacK, MacOmb etc...
>

>> otherwise the replacement will be OK.
>

> OK with you maybe, but almost for sure not OK with the person
> whose name you mangle. [1]
>

> [1] I often get snail mail addressed to Mr. Clellan, I assume
> because there's only a few pixels difference between "c"
> and "r" which confused an OCR program somewhere...
>
> --
> Tad McClellan
> email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
> The above message is a Usenet post.
> I don't recall having given anyone permission to use it on a Web site.

There is a nice routine on Andy Kramek's blog. Google "Andy Kramek
checkscots".
I dare say some names will be mangled. Macey is the obvious one.
Give it to a first year student as an exercise is probably the best
approach.

Regards
John